Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken motor mount bolt...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Jan 29, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a broken motor mount bolt on the driver's side. How should I go about fixing it? Is it an easy quick job or a PITA?
    Can I just use a standard grade 8 bolt or is it a special bolt? Thanks!
    I guess I have been rompin' on it a little too much. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

fixed it today! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess I have been rompin' on it a little too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that folks is the understatement of this young year........... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    And that folks is the understatement of this young year........... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Great tech help bubba! Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. rjfguitar

Actually bubba...I don't drive it all that hard most of the time but get on it every once and a while, just to blow out the carbon of course. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Which bolt is broken? One of the short ones that holds the mount down, or the long bolt that goes all the way through?

I think a regular grade 8 bolt will be fine.

You'll have to jack up or lift the engine slightly to get the bolt in/out.

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Which bolt is broken? One of the short ones that holds the mount down, or the long bolt that goes all the way through?

I think a regular grade 8 bolt will be fine.

You'll have to jack up or lift the engine slightly to get the bolt in/out.

[/ QUOTE ]It's the long bolt that holds both mounts together. I am thinking it is as easy as putting a block on my jack, up against the back of the oil pan, and jack up the motor a couple of inches and slide the new bolt in.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not a couple inches, more like 1/4". you'll have to get the parts of the old bolt out, but yeah, it's a simple project.

Ever think about a torque chain? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

Ever think about a torque chain? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    no?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A torque chain is an old fashioned type thing where a chain ran from the frame to the engine so that if it tried to twist in its mounts it would hold it. Some hot rod guys will put one on because it looks cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    A torque chain is an old fashioned type thing where a chain ran from the frame to the engine so that if it tried to twist in its mounts it would hold it. Some hot rod guys will put one on because it looks cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats what I figured it was, I think I just need a good new grade 8 bolt. The old one was probably fatigued.

11. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

any auto place sells them, PAW has them for 4 bucks or so to give you an idea. I have gotten real good at this latly with all my motor swapin, just a 5/8 and 11/16, just jack up the pan a little to realeave the weight off the bolts, if you have too loosen the tranny bolts "3/4" to allow for leverage if you need it. Should take way less than 30 minutes. Takes me about 5 min or so but I have no wheel wells and can sit under my truck or stand in my engin bay /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif