Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken off bolt in balancer, please help!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dawson444, Jan 8, 2004.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

To make a long story short, I broke off the bolt head that holds the main pully to the balancer. I can't get the bolt out or the balancer off. Please help! Thanks!

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

one of the three bolts for pulley to dampner, or the big bolt in crank snout ?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    one of the three bolts for pulley to dampner, or the big bolt in crank snout ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking he broke the bolt off in the crank or he wouldn't be so nervous.

I'd start drilling. I'd say use an EZ out, but if you break that, you're screwed. Just drill it out and either use a Heli-coil or a larger bolt. Probably a larger bolt.

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Nope, I broke one of the other 3 bolts. The one in the middle is fine. So I can't bolt a puller to the balancer with just 2 bolts, and I can't really get a 3 jaw puller to grab the inside hub of the balancer. This is really frustrating me!

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You sure you can't pull it with the other two bolts in there? Can't even use a big jaw puller around the whole thing?

6. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Ok, so all you need to do now is figure out a way to get a three jaw puller in there to be able to pull the dampner. I would try it with two bolts on the other type puller first. you might have to remove the radiator to free up so room for the big puller. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Use a prick punch and a hammer to beat the bolt out.

If that doesn't work, drill it out and then try folding the bolt in on itself and beat it out with the prick punch.

I'd be careful using a jawed puller because you can ruin the balancer.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd be careful using a jawed puller because you can ruin the balancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, if the balancer will come off with a puller or something, I say screw the balancer. Get it off of there and replace it. Of course, if the bolt broke tightening it, it will probably come out easy. But it doesn't sound like thats the case here.

They fail with age, and I don't think a replacement goes for much over $60. The time and effort spent trying to get this one out without hurting it MAY exceed that cost, if his time is worth much to him.

Just my opinion though.