Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken off lug studs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big89Burban, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

So driving to work yesterday morning in my Burb I'm hitting stop and go traffic for a while. Out of nowhere I here a loud POP!, and a second later another POP! I was stunned for a second not really knowing what the deal was but my truck still drove fine. I steered back and for a few times, hit the brakes, everything felt tight. Work is only another 1-2 miles. So I go ahead and drive there without checking it out. By the time I get to work my truck is feeling wobbly and kinda loose steering and tires felt unbalanced. So I hop out and look only to find that I had broken off 4 lugs on the driver side. OMG? So I check how tight the others are and one is loose enough to turn with my hand.

So I go into the shop and grap a torque wrench and proceed to check the rest of my lugs. The 4 left on the driver front were loose. So I check the pass side and manage to snap 2 of them off with very little pressure. So now Im worried. I knew the setup I had was not ideal because my lug nuts did not have much of the lug stud to screw on to (maybe 1/2".) The thing is that I have weld racing wheels that are made for the shank style lug nut and not the conical seat type but the wheels came with the conical washers the fit inside the lug holes to "adapt" it to conical seat and those washers are so thick that they make it to where the lug doenst have much to screw on to.

My biggest problem is that I cant get the shank style lug nuts to fit my studs. The only ones I've seen in the store are 1/2". My studs are 9/16"-18. I looked all on summit and everything for the 9/16" shank style lugs but everyone is backordered till the end of the month or early next month. I even looked to just replace the conical lugs right now and get some more of the conical seat washers but they are also backordered. Seems like there is no way to fix it. I just cant have my truck out of commision that long. Any suggestions?

I looked on the gorilla website and the ones I want are the 75197XL (9/16"-18 shank style extra long duplex)

[​IMG]

75197XL

So I went on the summit website and there backordered till the 27th or so.. This is ridiculous! :mad:

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I just checked Summit's websight and it says they will ship tomorow...:dunno:
    Amazon lists them... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A8MHXK/ref=nosim/102-3379497-7758504?n=15684181 tho looks like they come from Summit Racing.

Also have you checked Jegs? Dont think they carry Gorilla but they also do 1-2 day shipping. Ive always used open lug nuts on my 4x4's. Tho I have nasty steal wheels. I too have had a couple studs break.

3. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

check ebay seller "massey1946". I got mine from them, just like the ones you are looking for, but a tad shorter. Quick shipping and great communication.

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

what about hittin the parts store for some longer studs?

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That's what I was thinking. Get dually studs or something.