Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken rear shock mount

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jshadwick, Apr 16, 2003.

1. jshadwick

jshadwick Registered Member

Hi all,
    I broke the top drivers side shock mount on my 87k5 and I am wondering if i could just drill a hole in the frame (a little ways back) and call it good, or does i have to fix and replace that damn shock mount?? I did a search, but found no direct answer to my question. I am looking for a repair "on the cheap". I am have Rancho 9k's on it back there.
    Thanks!

ps-funny thing, i never even noticed it was broke off-one of my co-workers had to tell me i was draggin' a shock! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can buy a replacement mount from the GM dealer for $12. Then, drop the tank, cut off the rivets and bolt the new one in place. It's not too bad of a job, I had to do it on mine.
    Hope this helps,
    Ray

3. jshadwick

yeah, i know, but i am trying to avoid dropping that tank!
    /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. jshadwick

Ray,
    How did you remove the rivets???

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

You may have a cheap and easy way to fix the problem, but it will break again. I went through two shock mounts before I did an Inboard shock conversion that will stand up to the abuse of offroading.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You might be able to get away with putting a bolt through the frame near the very bottom edge, so the shock body doesn't hit the frame, but thats half a$$, and will certainly fail in one way or another.

If you get the $12 shock mount, make sure and weld the stud into the mount (and don't use those crush nuts that screw up the threads). Typically what happens on these mounts is the stud works loose, and the shock hammers the mount until it fails. Welding the mount to the frame isn't a bad idea either, but I can't imagine thats an easy job with the body on the frame. Pulling the gas tank is NOT hard.

Later trucks use a stud that is pressed into the farme mounted shock mount to prevent that.

7. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I used an air chisel to remove the heads, drilled a hole through the rivet and then used a large punch and hammer to knock them out.

Ray

8. jshadwick

Thanks for all the good advice, I took it. It took me most of the week ('tween working FT and goin to school PT), but, I just replaced the stock mount with the 12 dollar (17$ here in Sacto) mount, and had a muffler shop air chisel it off. Apparently, it had broke and been welded before.

Thanks again!
    james