Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken Rear Spring Short Term Fix???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, May 5, 2005.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

:blush: I was working under my truck this morning and noticed that a rear passenger side leaf broke in half and half of it is out of the pack.
    [​IMG]
    im thinking that i could either remove the loose part of the spring or lift the truck up and place it back in the pack till i can pick up a 6" lift spring pack. Also how dangerous is this :confused:
    Im looking at picking up a 6" lift leafs through BDS or even a 4" inch shackle flip with a 2" lift in springs and how driveable would it be to only run the 6" lift int he rear and stock up front for a payday period (2 weeks :grin: )
    any help would be appreciated thank you :cool1:
    [​IMG]
    1989 Chev Blazer Silverado
    355/700r-4/241
    10 bolts posi in rear 3.73

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

you could drive with 6" in rear and no front, it'll just look real funny.

if the rest of the broken leaf wont fall out, i'd just drive it that way til you get the new springs. go easy on it tho.

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

you will be ok for the short term. I drove with 2 broke on 1 side and 3 broke on the other. Couldn't even tell

4. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

I drove around on mine broken for a month or two. Actually I never drove it on the road. I took it out offroading and never knew they were broke. Actually I realized they were broke when I wrapped my rear diff as the P.O.S. lift blocks busted. I know they were broke for awhile though because of the rust over the broken section. My advice baby it and drive it until you can get some. Get the shackle flip and 2 or 3 inch springs.

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Broken Spring

I Drove With Mine Broken As Well Just Beware That Axle Wrap Will Be Much Worse This Way. Drove On It For A Month And All Was Well Until I Forgot About The Problem And Tried To Spin The Tires A Little And Bound Up The Ujoint Because Of The Axle Wrap.

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Mines been broke for about a year, well, that's when I noticed it at least. Will be fixing within the week though.

7. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info i lifted up the rear of my truck and placed the leaf back in now i just have to go order some lift springs and shocks :cool1: :pimp1:

8. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you don't get to it fixed right away put a big hose clamp on it to keep the spring in with the others

Last edited: May 7, 2005
  9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Drove my K5 for a few years with one half of that same leaf missing. Never noticed much except it seemed to squat a bit more in that corner when backing up a hill. :)