Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken ring or 2 1/2 Ton mosquito fogger?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fjleiter, Jul 13, 2004.

1. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Long story short... Did compression test, all cylinders at 150lbs, no noticeable change when oil is squirted in cylinders. All plugs look good except #1 which is heavily oil fouled. Tried the easy 1st step and replaced the valve seals. No change... No nasties as far as oil/exhaust in coolant, no coolant in oil etc..

this is at 1500 rpm
    [​IMG]

This is at 2200 rpm
    [​IMG]

And a picture of the lovely cloud it leaves (neighbors aren't liking me too much)

[​IMG]

Cloud kind of lingers and hangs, has a greyish tint to it and doesn't appear to be coolant but oil smoke. (lingers too long to be coolant)

ANY IDEAS????? I'm starting to think maybe a broken oil control ring or something.

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif how's it smell?

I think you're on the right track with a ring being broken... or maybe they're just not seated yet. Try going down the highway in 2nd gear at 60 for 10-15 minutes and see if it seats itself (firmly in the engine block /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)

3. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif how's it smell?

I think you're on the right track with a ring being broken... or maybe they're just not seated yet. Try going down the highway in 2nd gear at 60 for 10-15 minutes and see if it seats itself (firmly in the engine block /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

Smell is not what I can really classify, smells like a combination of oil, gas and metal (kind of like that pungent smell from flux core). Doesn't have that thick sweet smell of coolant.

Engine has 118k on it so I really hope the rings have seated, and I really DON'T want to try seating them firmly if you know what I mean /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

It may be an intake manifold gasket leaking, sucking oil from the lifter valley. Not common, but pulling the intake manifolds not that tough and you ought to see oil in the intake port if it leaks. Just a thought.

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

looks pretty white... my first guess would be a head gasket or a cracked head... Pretty cheap for a gasket set to pull the heads and find out b4 you ruin something!!!

6. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

Since you checked compression I would bet you have a leaky transmission modulator, but being unfamiliar with a 700r4 I'm not sure if they have one. What can happen is if the diaphram down by the transmission is leaking atf it will suck ATF all the way up the vacuum tube for the trans that goes into the intake which will then go into the cylinders.

could be wrong though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-jake

7. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

BTW trans modulator is relatively cheap, and fairly easy to check if it's f'd.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

He has a 1990 and therefore no vacuum line to the tranny.