Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken Rocker stud removal w/o a welder??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Anyone?? I had a rocker arm come loose and wedge it's self down between the corner of the valve and the pushrod. It acted like a saw and cut the rocker stud damn near in half before I could get the truck stopped someplace. Well, I started pulling it out with the whole slip a nut down, use a washer and a nut and pull it out trick and that worked until "SNAP" and that's all she wrote boys. There is about 3/4's of an inch sticking out and now what in the world do I do? I really really really do not want to pull the head unless it is absolutley neccessary. Anyone's advice is greatly apperciated, since I kinda need to drive this to work on monday.

2. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

Get a good pair of vise grips, pull out the adjustment screw, and weld a nut that will allow you to attach a slide hammer to the knurled end of the screw. Then get it as tight as possible on the stud, and hammer away. If you have a torch, wave a little heat around the stud boss right before you hammer it, a propane torch will even help. Hope this helps. I realize that this includes welding, but you don't have to have the welder on the job site.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

might work...

Your fortunate that 3/4" of an inch of it is still showing above the boss its pressed into..you might be able to use a die to cut new threads into the remains of the stud,and use the nut and washers trick again until its out..

The "slide hammer" method might work too,but will likely need torches to heat the stud boss up enough to loosen its grip on the stud..

I saw one "mechanic" with a reputation of being a "butcher" get one out by filing two slots in the stud,and using a long crowbar to pry it out!..:crazy: