Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken shackle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gpd4, Jun 11, 2002.

1. gpd4

gpd4 Registered Member

I broke one side (outside) of my front right side spring shackle. I was thinking of just buying the replacement fron LMC Truck. Should I upgrade this, or just leave it like it is?

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Get the ORD Heavy duty shackles... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

second vote on the ord shackles. and the new bushings with zerks will make your rig ride a bit better.
    grant /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You broke it once. You should figure out why or else just upgrade it. Especially because with 9" of lift you may be tempted to get bigger tires at anytime.

I have some shackles that I like, but I'm not sure where to get them anymore. They have three upper holes in them, all 1.5" from each other. That gives me the option to bump the front end up or down a little depending on circumstances. So with the hardtop on and on the street with the sway bar I keep it low. With the top and swaybar off for off-roading, I can move the front end up 3/4" or 1.5". The small change in caster shouldn't be a big deal off-road. I am using them with ORD greasable shackles with 1/2" bolts.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's what you want: http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/hdshackles.htm /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

If cash is an issue, I've probably got some stockers laying around here somewhere. I could send you a couple of them for the price of shipping. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. gpd4

gpd4 Registered Member

Thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately, cash is ALWAYS an issue, so the stockers would be great! Send me an email at gpd4@dorrisco.com if you would.

Thanks again

Too many hobbies...

7. HarryH3

Check your Private Messages. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend has those ORD shackles. They're nothing more than four pieces of steel with holes in them. If you want something stronger/longer, you can easily make it yourself.

9. HarryH3

Actually, you get 4 pieces of beefy steel that have been gold zinc plated. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif But the kit also includes new upper and lower polyurethane spring bushings (I was shocked at how wasted my 25 year old stock upper bushings were!), new steel sleeves for the bushings and new bolts. For many bucks more you can get the rifle drilled greasable bolts. Oh yeah, they also come with really cool Offroad Design stickers attached! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. HarryH3

George, today I shipped out the 2 straightest stock shackle brackets that I had. You should get 'em Friday. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The shackles are longer than stock, have larger bolt than stock, and have the bushings to work with the larger bolts. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend has them. I know what they look like. They're still four pieces of gold metal with holes in them and a cool looking sticker. I may buy the bushings as they're a great idea, but I'll make my own shackles. I don't care if they're gold and I'm not gonna pay that for the sticker. But the bigger bolts/greasable part is great. I'm going to make mine 1" longer than stock I think too.