Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken shock mount, gas tank removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dorucol, Jul 7, 2004.

1. dorucol

dorucol Registered Member

I broke the rear driver side upper shock mount, have a new one. I cannot find in any of my manuals how to remove the gas tank on an 85 k5 with a trailer hitch and skid plate around the tank. I need to remove the tank to gain access to the rivets to remove them to bolt a new mount to the frame. Does anyone have experience in this area? Would greatly appreciate any help. Dorucol 85 k5, 350, 700r4, 14bolt ff, corp 10 bolt.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Taking off the hitch is an exercise in patience... Getting a wrench on the bolts/nuts up inside the frame rails can be tricky. But once you drop the hitch, then you can start on the skid plate. There are 3 bolts across the back of the skid plate and 2 or 3 across the front. Remove them and the skid plate will come right out. Then you just have to loosen the two straps that hold the tank in place. Access the bolts that tension the straps at the very back of the truck. They're close to the bumper. As you loosen them, the tank will start to drop. Be sure to unhook the wires and hoses from the tank before dropping it too far or you'll be in for even more work. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Harry's instructions are good as gold. I just replaced a tank on one of my Blazers and the one thing I would add is how to lower the tank. Once you have the straps loose use a floor jack with a milk crate under the tank and place the crate between the straps. This will allow you to lower the tank a little at a time and keep control. After you have it down a few inches remove the hoses and wires. Now lower it all the way down.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I dropped my tank once already, and will have to do it again, as well as replaced the body mounts, without touching the hitch.

5. dorucol

Hey, thanks a lot, I really needed the directions you gave. Dorucol

6. dorucol

Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated. Dorucol

7. dorucol

Thanks for your reply, did your vehicle have the skidplate on the tank?Any more details on how you got your tank off?
    Dorucol.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Removing tank is pretty straightforward, as was described.

Remove the bumper and the trim piece that fills the gap between the bumper and tailgate. (I don't have one, but I'm assuming if you do, it's easier with it off) Bumper is very easy to remove, (well, if it's been off before) just leave the brackets in place, unbolt the bumper via the bumper bolts.

Had a skidplate, but removed it. Simple unbolt, remove operation, though IIRC, when pulling it down, it will hang up on the trailer hitch or something on that end. I just bent the mounting points on the skidplate a bit (easily bent back when in place I figure) and it dropped out.

Disconnect the ground and pink sending unit wires so they don't get ripped off when the tank drops.

Once all those are done, floorjack with a big board on it to spread the load, disconnect the fuel *fill* line/vent line for the fill neck, remove the nuts holding the gas tank straps tight in the back, and lower the tank down with the floorjack just until you can remove the fuel/evap/return lines from the sending unit.

Once those are off, lower until the jack is flat, slide tank off, and slide it out from under the truck.

Also might be easier to take the load off the suspension to get more clearance to work.

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Just to add my 2 cents worth, use liberal amounts of PB Blaster or some type of penatrating fluid on the nuts on the straps that hold the tank up, no matter how good a shape you vehicle is in, those will be rusted. Also, I had a hitch and a skid plate and was able to remove the hitch and plate without removing the bumper. The connector for all the wires is on the upper driver's side of the crossmember on the driver's side of the tank and can easily be coverd up with mud and not be seen. Lastly, be careful removing the fuel tank fill hose, it is hard to get off, but is expensive as hell if you have to replace it.

10. Mav2u

Mav2u 1/2 ton status

On my 89 Jimmy I had to drop the tank also.( several times to be exact ) I learned that you can get the the strap bolts with a socket wrench and extension by lowering your tailgate and going straight down through the gap between the body and tailgate. Makes life super easy, assuming it is the same way on your blazer.

Mav