Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken shock mount.........HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rockink5, Apr 7, 2002.

1. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Finished putting on new front brake pads and calipers. Took it for a test drive, and while weaving the wheel back qand forth, I hear and feel a clunking noise in the floor boards. Come home get out and check everything over, and find right rear upper shock mount bolt loose and frame cracked horizontally. Has anyone had this happen, how did you fix? Sure it can be welded up, but not sure I would trust it not to break again. Relocate shocks? Where and how? Have not thought that far ahead yet. If I relocate shocks will the ones I want (9012's) be to long for the 2 1/2 lift I have for now. I am aquiring parts for aprox. 5" lift but It won't be for a couple months. Sorry so long of a story guy's, This is the first real problem I've had with the Blazer that I'm not exactly sure how to fix.

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Not too big of a deal - put in a groove with a die grinder and weld the frame up, after that it's just a matter of fabbing a new mount. I've figured out how to mount really long shocks, but it's a matter of if you're willing to hack up the inner fenders to do it. For now I'd just stick with your current shocks - 9012's are awfully long for 2½", any real articulation would be detrimental at this point.

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Cutting stuff is not a problem If improves abillity, but why would I have to cut inner fender wells, it's a rear shock, If it was a front I would understand

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'm talking about the rear inner fenders - basically to allow mounting of shock hoops on the rear. And either adding a "tub" to the rear fenders or giant shifter boot type deals.

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Mine did that in the exact same spot.. Since I can't weld worth a damn. I took it to a welding shop I know.. They welded the crack first then a plate behind the frame and on the outside. And drilled a whole for shock...Dan

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Just do a temp fix til you do the lift a 9012 will be long for a 2.5".
    For now just weld up the crack and reinstall a new stud with washers on both sides, Rancho number P-915 is the Chevy stud.
    Look at relocating them if you do plan a 5" with the 9012's.
    Like a MOO crossmember , Howlin Off Road/forums/images/icons/wink.gif , a local shop, or make your own.

7. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

OK luckily my dad is a certified welder, Talk to him tomorrow about it. need to get it fixed or can't go to Hollister