Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken Shock mount

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by potionmaker, Jan 12, 2006.

1. potionmaker

potionmaker 1/2 ton status

Has anyone experienced a broken shock mount (stock, rear,upper, drivers-side)on an '86 K5 Blazer?:rolleyes: :D If so, how did you fix it? Does anyone sell a replacement bracket (besides the GM gouger!)? Any advice or suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
    BB

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Well GM does sell the exact replacement part. Have bought them in the past and I dont remeber them being very expensive....

Or what about a piece of angle with a bolt through it and maybe a few scrap pieces on the side for support. Then bolt it to the frame where the oiriginal bracket was....???... MOst new rear shocks come with the new mounting studs.

3. absolute

absolute Registered Member

I welded my front passenger mount, i have stock dual shocks on my 84, i ripped it off wheeling!

4. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i think the rear passenger side usually breaks a lot. both of my buddies blazers broke it. we just took them off and drilled and welded up all the spider cracks. good as new. I havent broken mine.....yet.

5. potionmaker

Thanks for the input!! I'm not even sure how it happened. I usually dont do too much rough wheelin'. I finally was able to do a search and see that there are many others that have had this problem. I'm still in the middle of reading all of the related posts to see if there are any....uh....."easy" solutions. If anyone has any more, I would love to hear 'em!

Thanks, this is suchs a cool forum. I wish I had found this years ago!!

6. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

i broke mine too on my 76
    RR upper
    im lookin for a cheap easy fix as well
    ne ideas

7. ROCKHARDK5

ROCKHARDK5 Registered Member

Is it the mount, or the frame itself? I have had to replace the mount, and weld the crap out of where the mount sits on the frame. I came to find out that this can be caused by having the wrong shocks for your truck. You might want to look into that too.

8. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Wow another Utahn:D

Easiest fix for all would have been moo's rear shock relocation crossmember:doah: that was my plan now I'll have to fab my own:D

9. potionmaker

yeh. I see Moo's is out of business (atleast that's what the URL says). Any suggestions for other shock mounting kits?

10. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

i broke my rear driversside on my old 78 just had it welded back in place made a brace and welded washers on each side of the hole openings. worked fine. cost was a hole 15 bucks

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

My buddy with an 86 shortbed did the same. Any good welding shop can set you up cheaply. I've seen them on and off in the LMC catalog.

12. potionmaker

thanks to everyone for the helpful ideas. I will start looking for a reputable welding shop and tell 'em what I want.

Thanks again
    BB

13. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Look up Flying-Hi offroad in phoenix arizona. Get a hold of there fab shop. They make a replacement plate that bolts to the frame and contours with the frame. Beefy.

Doug Wright

14. k5rocker

k5rocker Registered Member

Don't feel like the lone ranger, I think it's a pinko-commie plot with GM to frustrate us all. I have fixed 5 of these successully and permanently by welding 2 grade-8 5/8" washers together and then welding them to the remains of the bracket on the outside only with 680 1/8" rods (180,000 psi rated). Much stronger than factory.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The problem is likely that the shock bolt got loose, and hammered the heck out of the bracket. Both of my trucks started out like that.

Best fix (IMO) is to weld the bracket to the frame if it's loose/destroyed already, and either way, weld the shock bolt to the bracket. (don't use nuts that screw the threads up after this though lol)

You'll notice that GM realized the problem was with the attaching method of the shock bolt, later ones were pressed in like wheel studs.

16. Blazin'Nads

Blazin'Nads Newbie

Glad to see this post. I just broke the driver side rear mount on my '78 after getting airborn into a mudpit, and I've been staring at it like a monkey doing a crossword puzzle trying to figure out how to replace it. I'm just gonna Weld it up and be done with it. Thanks!

17. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Bringing this back to the top, I notice in a couple of the posts it was mentioned to take the bracket off (upper driverside rear shock mount and repair the hole) but mine is riveted on. The bolt itself was wallowing out the hole and when I tried to take it off I broke it. I like the idea of welding a heavy flat washer to the bracket but wasn't looking forward to pounding out the rivets. What else could be done? Thanks,