Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken Shock Mount

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Derf00, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I recently found that the driver's side rear shock mount on our '90 Jimmy is broken. It has a verticle crack on the front corner of the bracket. Any suggestions as to the best option to correct this problem in addition to getting a longer shock for that location?

Derf00

"Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Longer shock, in my research, not possible due to compression being the limiting factor. I just got mine done, I welded up the cracks, cut up some 3/16th flat stock for reinforcement which is working okay so far, but I'm winding up to trash that project and relocating the mounts. Check the passenger side mount too, mine was broken. Problem is the shocks for this application are okay for compression, but at full droop, the shocks are about 3 inches too short, and also with only one side of the shock bolt being supported, there's going to be problems. This is one flaw that a lot of us have problems with. Go to the home page and do a search for Rancho Review, it's a extended shock fab article. I'm going to do this to mine, but the rear mounts are going to be redesigned as soon as my suspension expert gets back to me.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Give Fly-N-Hi a call, they make and sell an upgraded left rear shock mount for $49.95 - pugsley.alloffroad.com

4. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can buy a replacement mount from gm for around $12, but you have to drop the tank and cut, or drill out the rivets from the old one.