Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken shock mount

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stickshooter, Dec 8, 2001.

1. stickshooter

stickshooter Registered Member

My drivers side rear shock has broken the upper mount, an angled piece of metal that is riveted to the frame. Any ideas on how to fix it? It's too close to the body to get a good weld so I'm thinking I'll have to drop the fuel tank, wash out the rivets with a torch, weld the piece back together, then bolt it back to the frame. Any one had this happen before, how did you fix it?

2. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

I forget who makes it but they make a replacement. It might ORD. But I am not sure. When Mine broke it was out in the middle of nowhere so we drilled through the frame and then I have welded the bolt to it. I have to retighten it everyonce in awhile after wheelin but it works and I AM NOT suggesting that you do this but it is an alternative.

Brian
    83 K-5 4" on 35's

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

What part broke?
    did the stud rip out?
    or did the whole bracket come off the frame?

Would you be interested in upgrading to the cross over set up?

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I have a temp fix on mine now. Just drilled a new hole in the bracket and remounted shock stud in new hole. The chev. dealer has new part. Right on the money about dropping the tank to fix. After market part does exsist but not sure who makes it. I think I'm gonna drill a hole in trhe frame and use a stud like the pass side.-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

6. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The G.M. dealership has a replacement for $12.00. That where I got mine. You're right you have to drop the tank, grind, air chisel or burn out the rivets and then bolt or weld the new piece in. I bolted mine with grade 5 bolts and nuts. It took me about a day to day and a half to complete it, because I had to drill out the rivets. hope this helps.
    Ray

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I stuffed a bunch of wet rags in behind the shock mount and on top of the gas tank and welded my busted mount up. Yes it's very hard to see but it is possible. The repaired mount lasted for well over a year and then I sheared a mount off of the diff on the passenger side. I finally went to a relocated rear shock design so my shocks stopped bottoming out...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>