Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken shock mount

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87 mid canada k5, Aug 3, 2000.

1. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

wondering if anyone one else has come across this problem. I had a 4 in. lift done about 3yrs. back.re-arched and add-a-leafs all round. Spent a few bucks on some rs 5000's quads on the front,singles on the rear ,the quads never did fit the factory dual mounts properly, so I removed one on each side and that does the job. I haven't bothered with an after market shock loop yet but will eventually, but it's the rear that causing me grief. First of all, I regret the lift I put on ,and I'll more than likely switch to a soft ride when I can afford it, getting tired of squeeks and trim screws falling out and just the overall ride quality ,it sucks! My problem now is the upper shock mount on the drivers side, I broke it once already replaced it ( fun ,fun,fun) now the new one is cracked. The shocks I bought are for a 2 to 4 in. lift , I'm guessing my lift has settled though it doesn't look like it, the shock is just kinda sitting there loose. The truck hasn't been abused bad enough to cause this kind of breakage, anyone have a similar situation or a different idea as to what my problem (besides being long winded) is?

MIDCAN k5

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think your problem is ........ LMAO ( too many answers )
    When you lifted it did you extend your bumpstops? The mount usually peels off when the shock bottoms out. Its pretty easy to bottom your shocks too, just hit a speed bump a little too fast. I have broken and fixed my drivers side upper shock mount twice. Its not a very stong design.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Yes and Yes, both sides on the rear are sorry as hell. The passenger rear is just bolted through the frame and usually makes a large hole when it rips out. I re did mine totally and have had 0 problems since.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

4. 87 mid canada k5

Thanks guys, I didn't do anything with the bump stops, and looking at them they haven't seen any action for a while but I guess the shocks have! Never realized they could bottom out so easily, should I extend them as much as the truck was lifted or a little less maybe?

MIDCAN k5

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ramp the truck to see when the shock bottoms and then measure how much room you have to the bump stop. I would come down a half inch farther to allow for the bumpstop to compress.
    You could always get really long shocks and mount them through the floor. :^)
    You could also reconfigger the whole works back there with the shocks mounted more to the center of the truck at the top. Just some thoughts.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

6. 87 mid canada k5

Merci, I'll do just that! Ya know thinking about it now, the bump stops were a real no-brainer don't know why that never came to mind. With the piles of mags I've got here dating back to '84 I should've picked that up somewhere. Of course my wife likes it when I just leave them in the boxes, thanks again fellow Chevians!

MIDCAN k5

7. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

I had the same thing happen to me, driver's side rear shock mount cracked in half. I did'nt notice it until a lady yelled over to me (I was driving to work) and told me I was dragging a shock. When i got under it to check it out there was a roadkilled squirrel wrapped around the upper shock bushing! The good part is that tough squirrel hide prevented any damage to the shock.

8. 87 mid canada k5

Wow, that's........ ahh, kinda sick, but neat at the same time!
    Maybe squirrels are mans best friend not dogs!

MIDCAN k5