Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken Speedometer & Tripometer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by linksvu, Apr 2, 2006.

1. linksvu

linksvu Registered Member

Well, not sure how I did it, but I did. As I was putting my gauges cluster back together (which has been a nightmare), I broke the arm for the speedometer. It was all in an effort to get my tripometer to work again (when I press it does not reset nor can I turn it back to zeros). As I was working on the speedometer, the arm feel into my hands.

Any thoughts of repairs; can it be done? I tried to superglue it back but the tiny shaft would not hold enough glue to support the arm and it simply came off with my thumb. This is not fun.

While I am at it, any ideas of getting a stock (???) tach for a 6.2 while I have this thing apart? I have only seen pictures of ones for the gassers...

Is it just me or are these dashes a pain? My '99 Surburban is far easier to take the dash apart...

Thanks guys..

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the arm fell off, you need another speedometer. The speedometer needle is press fit on that tiny shaft, which is obviously not real strong. :(

The problem with a stock tach is that they only existed (apparently) up until 1981. Whenever they changed the lettering/numbering style (1980?) would be your only option for a stock tach that is correct in that regard. Earlier tachs will fit and work, but won't match the other gauges.

If you like your trip odometer, then your options are '87-89 IIRC. '87 or '88 is the earliest I've ever seen them in a truck application, (our body style) and in '90 they went to electronic.

The trip odometer is garbage on these trucks anyways. On mine you've got to push it in, then put some sideways pressure on the shaft, and it will usually work then...but still a pain. Too bad it's not push-button.

3. linksvu

Any thoughts on putting a '76 dash into an '88 truck? It looks like they will work in terms of its fittment and the gauges acting the same.

4. dyeager535

The wiring is apt to be a fair amount different. Not impossible, just need to spend some time with them side by side ot figure it all out.

'76 though may still be an ammeter and mechanical oil pressure, (someone can clarify that) both of which I personally don't like.

5. linksvu

Thanks dorian, big help. Now I just have to drop the $60 some odd bucks for a new speedometer, SWEET!

6. dyeager535

Just get a used one off of here! They aren't worth that much, fairly easy to find and not so heavy/big that they should cost much to ship.

I'm glad I went electric, that's all I have to say. :)

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Yeah, just get one off of here. I gave one away a few months ago for free. Forgot to who though......I wonder if it worked out for him...:thinking:

8. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have some guages from my parts K5 that I had up for sale. Your more than welcome to come by and check them out or we could try to get some kind of Meet n Greet set up for the Denver area. I have them listed also. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169747

I keep noticing a lot of new names in Colorado. We definately need meet up with everyone.:D

Z

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I've heared that people take the needles off to put the white faces on the gauges so you may be able to find out how they do it and get a new needle. I like that trip meter in mine... and want to add one to my 74 when I find a newer housing....

10. dyeager535

They apparently make a (microscopic?) puller for the needle, I've also heard using a fulcrum under a fork, using the tines to lift the needle up.

11. linksvu

Without a question we need to get some group/team together. Thank you for all your help. I found on on ebay that was close to my miles and just bought. I should have waited as it was $56 after shipping but it seems to be in really good shape so I hope the deal works out.

12. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No problem,

It looks like we are trying to decide on a MnG sometime later this month. Have you checked out the threads in the Regional Forum? If you have any preference on dates or places chime in.:D

Z