Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken spider gear teeth bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stretch67, Sep 22, 2004.

1. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

was helping a buddy do the rear brakes on a 14 bolt sf rear. upon pulling the rear cover i noticed chunks around the magnet under the ring gear. looked like gear teeth. carrier is a gov-lock. the lh spider gears have broken teeth, about 3/16" on three of them. i know thats really bad but i don't know enough about gears and stuff to tell him how bad. we resealed the cover and put new gear oil back in and finished the brake job. ? is will his rear destroy itself real quick? i told him to be looking for another axle! any advice? thanks /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd replace those spider gears before it tears up the ring and pinion.

3. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

www.ring-pinion.com
    Looks like good parts, good prices, and free tech. Doesn't get better than that! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Last I checked on side/pinion gears, they were so expensive that I figured another rear axle was a better option!

5. mydnyte

mydnyte Registered Member

I just lunched a Dana44 carrier in the front of my K20 and it was cheaper to buy a Dana limited slip unit than to buy a stock loaded carrier. The spider gears were the most expensive part.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    www.ring-pinion.com
    Looks like good parts, good prices, and free tech. Doesn't get better than that! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it does! Same parts, from a dealer of theirs, for cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif