Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken spider gear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Apr 30, 2004.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I've got a broken spider gear in my front diff. I drove it around in 4wd and it seems to be working fine and there's no noise. Should I take it wheeling on sunday? I have a detroit on order and was just going to weld the spiders, but I think it'll hinder more than help, especially if the front tires turn anyways. There is only one tooth that is broken and it's the bottom gear, not one of the spiders that has the axle in it. Anybody's thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated. Also, when I changed the fluid, the broken tooth didn't come out with the fluid, so I am assuming the guy I bought the axle off of ran it with the broken gear for a while.

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif If it runs fine this way I'd use it Sunday and then install the Detroit later and pitch the spiders. If the spiders do break you can always just unlock the hubs and drive in 2WD to avoid bearing and R&P damage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

thanks