Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken Spider Gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueBlazer, Feb 15, 2001.

1. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well, I just joined this site and I need some help. I just put a new clutch in my 82 k5 ( 6.2, 4 speed, 33" A/Ts ) and decided to really try it out. I powershifted from granny low to 1st gear at full throttle and disintegrated the spider gears. First, how do I go about replacing this assembly. Is there any special tools required, is it difficult, etc. Secondly, I think Im going to get a mini-spool to replace the spider gears. Has any one out there done this on a similar vehicle. Supposedly if you drive it right, you wont hurt anything ( so says 4x4 and Off-Road magazine. I need to know what the ring gear size is and how many splines. It is the original axle. Finally, when I put the diff cover and fluid back in, can i drive it temporarily with the front locked in. I appreciate any help you might give me.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

3. BlueBlazer

I thought that to remove the carrier, you do not need to touch the ring or pinion gears or bearings. It just slides out after you remove the allen head screw and the large pin in the carrier. I really do not have the money for a good posi unit. If any one has a used posi or locker they could sell me, I would appreciate it. Im still wondering if anyone out there put a spool in their truck. Does it harm the truck. I need some ideas on how to fix this cheaply. I have another question I forgot to ask earlier. After I put my clutch in and put the tranny and transfer case back on, i cant seem to shift out of four wheel drive. I dont know if it is a shift linkage problem or what. Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

To remove the spiders you don't need to pull the carrier on the 10 or 12 bolt.Just pop the cover then pull the center pin.There will be either a roll pin or a bolt holdeing the center pin in pull this then the center pin.Now push a axle in and remove the C-clip and pull the axle out of the carrier ( not all the way out of the housing just about 10")Three of the four spiders can be removed now.Push the other axle in and pull the C-clip and pull it out.Remove the last spider.Going to the spool ?.If you have the money a locker would be better.One like the Lock-rite or Detriot E-Z locker work good and cost less than $300.They install in place of the spiders so you don't need to reset the gears.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster <A target="_blank" HREF=http://beautifuldisaster.coloradok5.com>http://beautifuldisaster.coloradok5.com</A>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Since the carrier in a locker or posi unit is different than open, you have to change the carrier. Changing the carrier necessatates checking clearances, backlash, preload, etc. Thats why ring/pinion and carrier changes are so expensive when shops do it. I guess some of the lockers replace the open carriers internals, if so, then no, nothing like preload, backlash, etc will change.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

6. Danivek

Danivek Registered Member

Same senario here. have 10 bolt and spit out spider gears. went to Jegs, got a mini spool, using the directions in the above message just popped the mini spool right in. it makes a world of difference on and off road. off road--very cool, on- well lets just say almost every turn is a 3 point turn, or just a very wide turn. tires chirp on every turn etc... it depends on what irritetes you, if your willing to live with the downfall on the road go for it. I am

7. BlueBlazer

Thanks for all of your help. Although I wanted to get a spool, I was convinced not to. If my truck had a stronger axle, I definitely would have gone with the spool. Instead, I just ordered a Lock Rite unit from Powertrax. Just over $300 and has the best of both worlds, spool and open ( during turning ). Im still need to know why my transfer case wont shift out of 4wd. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again.