Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken steering arm.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Citizen Rider, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

The studs on the steering arm on the drivers knuckle of my 84 blazer snapped. All 3 of them snapped so the arm is off. But now i must Get the heads of the studs out of the knuckle.

I dont have access to real fancy tools. I figured i would just drill the head out. I have a new arm as the old one was bent somehow, so i dont need to recover the

Any tips or ideas that i should use? Should i get new studs, grade 8 bolts....

Also it looked like i may not be able to get a new stud or whatever up into the rear hole as the ujoint on the drivers side is very close to it

PLEASE HELP?!

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

remove the knuckle and take it to a machine shop. Simple tools probably aren't going to help you much. Depending on how they broke off, the knuckle may be worthless (read: a new one would cost less than "saving" the old one).

j

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got a drivers side knuckle i dont need. it needs new ball joints but would probably b cheeper than taking ur old one to the machine shop.

shoot me an email if ur interested macstars@erols.com

4. Citizen Rider

the studs just snapped and left the head in the knuckle. I had a few friends look at it at a local shop called Expert Offroad and say it should be fine. I know the head is a screw in and there is no way without drilling it to get it out. Right now its infront of my house steering less and i got to figure out how to get it in to my driveway. I have access to a drill, bits, wreches, stuff like that. Just no air tools and no ez-out set.

How hard would it be to take off the knucle? is there a write up or something somewhere i can look at to get a visual of what i would be doing. I really cant mess this up more than it allready is. Ive already spent 70 on a new lift arm.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

it is everything in this tech section: http://coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml and then u have to take the shaft out, well u mihgt not have to, but thats how i always do it. then undo the castle nut, and nut thats at the bottom of the knuckle. then ur gonna need either a fork to wedge between the knuckle and balljoint and hit the fork with a hammer or a big f***ing hammer to beat on the top of tha ball joint (the hammer method destroys the ball joints, so plan on new ones with that method) then it should come off hope that helps

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Hellow CR. Glad to see you are 4wd now. I'v got a set of easyouts. I may have access to a knuckle also. Pulling the knuckle isn't that hard, plus while its out, you can replace the balljoints. I would recommend you get new studs and cones also. Give ILL a call and we can setup a time to fix your stuff.

7. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

8. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Here's how to replace the ball joints, which it sounds like you'll have to do.

9. Citizen Rider

Well, i got it moved and started working on it. A friend is insisting that the knuckle be replaced and that if the studs are replaced it will be the weakest link and the first thing to break. Another guy showed up and started drilling and refused to listen to me saying he was not straight and drilled an oval into the knuckle now.

Should i take a small bit, drill a hole in the head. Then take a bigger bit and drill the rest out using the big hole as a guide?

Damn "friends" doing everything redkneck and not the RIGHT way.

10. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you have a welder you can set a nut on the broken stud and weld it to it.weld inside the nut to the broken stud.

11. Citizen Rider

I would have already done that if the HEAD OF THE STUD WAS NOT BROKEN IN THE KNUCKLE. Meaning nothing is sticking out of the knuckle....

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Hey man, calm down. Take the knuckle off and bring it to me. We will run it out to Bubbas, and he will have it fixed in a few minutes, as good as new.