Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken/stuck plug in head?help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by civicstomper, Dec 29, 2003.

1. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

I hope this isnt a repost. I was changing all the spark plugs on my 87 K-5, and I was on the last one when the end broke off. The threaded part is still in the block. We tried an "easy out" bolt extractor and that broke off in the plug. It is on the passenger side farthest back next to the firewall.

this really bugs me because i got this truck used, and I dont think the previous owner(s) ever changed the plugs at all, so they were pretty bad /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Is there any way of taking out the plug without taking apart the head? I dont want to cut any necesary corners, yet right now is the worst time possible for time and money.

If anyone has had this problem before or has any ideas please let me know /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, thank you and sorry about the long message.
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

This was brought up a couple of weeks ago, and seems like the only way to do this is to remove the head. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. civicstomper

Really, ok, i didnt see that i guess. well, if thats what i have to do then ill get started on it. Thanks for the help
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. civicstomper

I got it out with out taking off the head!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I am writing this in case anyone is in a similar situation and is thinking about taking the head off.

My dad's friend came over last night and used a micro torch to heat it about 8 times, letting the heat break the rust loose. this was difficult in that too much heat would hurt the head. after heating it the last time, he was able to shove a flat screwdriver into the soft metal of the plug and twist out.

i was really happy, this means i dont have to remove the head. if anyone is in this situation, again i would recommend trying this. well, until the next thing i break, /forums/images/graemlins/wink.giflater

5. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Fawkin ay! Cool, Guess you got lucky you didn't have to go that route huh! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. civicstomper

Really, I was pretty excited, thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif