Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

broken thermostat housing bolt on 4.3 CPI

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by BayouBlazer88, Feb 16, 2004.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

The upper radiator hose burst yesterday in my brother's 94 S-10 blazer with the 4.3 CPI V6. I thought I might as well change out the lower hose as well as the thermostat because it has almost 170k miles on it and its probably been a while since it's been change. Turned out not to be such a good idea because when I tried to loosen the upper most thermostat housing bolt, the top broke off. I managed to get the lower bolt out without breaking it so the housing and thermostat could be taken out. Now I'm stuck with a bolt sticking out from the intake about a quarter inch and I've run out of ideas for getting it out. I tried some Vice-grips as well as a small pipe wrench. the vice grips didnt help at all. The pipe wrench will grab well but right when it starts to grab, I run out of room. I was thinking about bending the part of the bolt that's sticking out so I could get a wrench on it or something, is that a good idea or no? Thanks for the help.

2. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

can you get to it with a drill? you could try an easy-out.

3. BayouBlazer88

Got it out! Took a while but managed to finally get it without removing the intake. let the thing soak in PB blaster and WD-40 all night and finally came off with vice grips.

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

we ran into that alot on motorcycles, the best bet, although time consuming is get a pick or to grind a screwdriver to a point and find the flattest surface and start tapping the bolt counter clockwise until it backs out, its a slow process but i've even removed bolts that break below flush to the surface like this....

5. BayouBlazer88

-never thought of that. yeah it might be slow but the method I used wasn't exactly lightening quick either. But I'll keep that in mind next time. Thanks.