Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken Transmission Pan Bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mik5, May 28, 2005.

1. mik5

mik5 Newbie

Sorry for this really basic question.

The title says it all. Went to change the trans filter and fluid and snapped some of the bolts off below flush. Do you think I can ez out them or is there some better way?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. 82dieselburb

82dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I think best option you have is to use a ez out.Just spray with some penetrating lube and heat it up with a torch.I should come out pretty easy considering the tranny case is aluminum. Good luck :)

3. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

a few quick easy ways...

jb weld a bolt to the broken one... wait for it to dry, unbolt it... sometimes if the tranny bolts are too tight the jb weld will break off

so you can drill a self tapping screw into the broken bolt, then unscrew it so you have a threaded hole, and put jbweld onto the same screw and drill it into the hole you made the first time. let it dry, and unscrew it, it should take the bolt right out..

or just weld a bolt to it and unscrew it.

it all depends what you have to work with

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

sorry but dont wast your time with jb crap weld. if you need to do any thing else after that crap is on there it will not weld or heat up good at all. best to drill hole and heat area and use easy out . take your time and be easy with it. also use p.b. blaster on bolts and let it work. its the best stuff. we use only that at work. i wont buy anyting else.

side note: jb weld wont hole from twisting and wont expand from heat or contract from cold and welding on it is just pure crap. just my opinon take it as you wish. good luck.

5. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

I have just spent a couple of hours completing similar repairs this week.
    Just start with a very small drill bit and keep stepping up. Just one or two sizes at a time. Go slow don't push too hard and keep the drill running slow.
    My bolts were 9/16 and I started with a 3/16 bit. You will start smaller of course.

It should be easier for you. Try to start in the middle of the bolt. If you cant get it centered, work with the drill. You are just trying to weaken the bolt to the point that an easy out will work or you can pick it out with a small screw driver. Get a nice point on the screw driver with a grinder or a file.

I can't say take your time enough. If you do break a drill bit in the bolt, don't worry you can pick it out. Just keep picking with pliers or what ever you think might work at the time... it will come out.

Good luck.