Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken turn signal switch

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by dbozman, Mar 19, 2007.

1. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Pulling the K5 out of the garage yesterday, I accidentally whapped the turn signal stalk with my hand and broke the plastic switch inside the steering column into about three pieces. Looking through the LMC/Chevy Duty catalogs, do I need to buy an entire switch? The signals worked fine before I broke the plastic piece. Is this something I can get locally?

Never had one apart, but I'd prefer to replace the plastic piece without rewiring if that's possible. Thanks for any input.
    d

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you can usually get the whole turn switch actuator for under $50 at the stealership or a good parts store that deals in AC Delco... and they often have em in stock...

i would advise getting a lockplate depression tool to do it.. they are pretty cheap and make the job much easier... tho with another pair of hands, getting the snapring back down on the shaft is doable... also a steering wheel puller...

you will need to unplug the wiring about 1/2 way down the column and pull it thru with the old actuator...

it is possible to replace just the white plastic piece that the arm screws to if thats all that is broke without pulling the whole actuator... tho i'm guessing you'd need to still buy the whole actuator...

3. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Your last paragraph gets to the heart of my question. As I said, the turn signals worked fine before. Through the signal stalk hole in the column, I can see that the white plastic piece itself is broken in three pieces. I was hoping just to replace that piece if it's possible.

4. ryoken

well, it's not a question of if it worked before.. the question is how much plastic did you bust up... that white plastic that the arm screws to is a small piece, with a very short fulcrum, pivot section. if you hit it hard enough, you not only busted that, but the white plastic housing that it pivots on, which is the actual turn signal actuator assembly..

you wont know till you take it apart.. and as i said, you wont be able to just purchase the one little plastic piece, you'll be buying a whole actuator...

it's all pretty simple and self explanatory in there once you get it apart... the snapring is usually the most difficult task... and chasing the wires thru if you have to do the whole thing....

good parts stores can usually have it quick from ac delco...

5. ryoken

hey just realized I had a pic of one in my gallery... not exactly the correct angle but..

[​IMG]

if you look to the top, left side of it, directly above the wires, you can see 2 little plastic pieces going up, forming a channel.. that is where the arm screws down in, between those...

6. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Just to follow up on this, Napa does sell just the plastic housing for the turn signal arm without having to replace the entire switch. Put it together today and it works fine. Napa part number is: DL6128. Cost $20.
    d