Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken Wheel Stud HELP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78GMCJIMMY, Jan 27, 2005.

1. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

:mad: Well the last time I was at les Schwab apparently they crossthreaded one of my lug nuts.:mad: I was repacking my front wheel bearings and did the driverside first ,and then when i moved to the passenger side all hell broke loose:mad: (a stud snapped off due to lug nut being crossthreaded)!I have a spare wheel stud and am wondering wether or not it is safe to replace it in the garage without a press?:confused: I am sure I can do it(famous last words),just lookin' for pointers such as how to remove and install(ha-ha-ha)!Any ways as usual any help is greatly Appreciated.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can punch the old one out and with a vice, squeeze the new one in. Put a tube or socket over the stud (deep enough!) and press it in but I really wouldn't advise hammering it in!

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I use an air hammer to drive them out and back in. If you don't have an air hammer you'll be able to do it with a regular hammer. Just don't try pulling it in with the lug nuts, that is crappy practice.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If Tim's happy to hammer them in, then go ahead! He's prob done way more than me. I use a press 'cause I have one but if hammering works then go for it!:grin: But he's right about the drawing it in with nuts..it'll work but won't do the thread strength anygood.

5. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

Give me some credit guys

:mad: Come on guys,give me some credit!Do you really think i am stupid enough to try and draw in a wheel stud with the nut trick:D (stupid trick anyway ha-ha-ha).Anyways I figured it would be safe doing one in the garage, but I don't think I would want to do all 24 that way.Anyways I guess I'll break out the BMFH(Big M****r F*****g Hammer),the vise and get to it! Thanks again to everyone who helps out around here!

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Just beat them good and solid. Then check the lugs for tightness after about 50 miles.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It won't be bad. I did 16 of them like that when I did my rear disc brake swap.

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I had a bad experience in a buddy's truck once..He forgot to beat all the studs into a 1/2 ton hub..yeh well..we lost some..well..ALL the lugs and the tire flew past us goin down a dirt road. Now that SUCKED!!

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I use a 3lb sledge hammer and a 1/2 Drive extension to drive mine in. Just use the same criss cross pattern when you drive them in so that the rotor seats properly and make sure all the studs are seated. I have done this to my truck and helped do it to other peoples trucks. No problem at all. It just gives your arm a workout, especially if you have an 8 lug axle.

Harley

10. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have beat all of mine in with a 3 lb hammer and a 3/4 inch drive extension. However on my 14 bolt they were a PITA and had to go and use a presst o get them the last 1/8th of an inch in.