Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Broken Yoke ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DYOLLP, Mar 23, 2003.

1. DYOLLP

DYOLLP Registered Member

I just found this site a couple weeks ago. I have learned a lot reading some of the posts. I thought I would post my own question.
    First off, I am not the best mechanic. I can do small repairs on my truck and I have limited tools. I am trying to save some money and I want to know if I should try and fix my truck or take it to the shop. I have an 81 K5 with NP208. I broke my Ujoint which spun my rear drive shaft around and cracked the housing that holds the slip yoke. The housing is holding on by only one bolt. Can I order a new yoke and bolt it on? Would this be an easy fix for a rookie or should I take it to the shop? If I take it in around how much would it cost?

Thaks for the help

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Honestly for the price a shop will charge and the pain of trying to isolate what else is wrong with the 208.....you could have just gone to a Upick-it-Upull-it yard and gotten a newsed one. Reallyif you've cracked the case/tail housing get rid of it. If you find one from a '89.5 it will be a NP241 with mechanical speedo which will load right up in the place of your 208, point being lower gear than 208.