Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brother in law's EGR code coming up.................

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbinOR, Apr 7, 2004.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Brother in law\'s EGR code coming up.................

Guys,

My bro in law's 95 Chevy 1500 keeps showing a code for EGR failure. He's been trying to get through DEQ with failure due to high NOX. We've diagnosed it to death, changed both the EGR and the EGR solenoid based on the info off my scanner. Before he brought it to me he had the TBI removed and the 'passages cleaned out', CAT changed, O2 sensor changed, to no avail. After we changed the EGR solenoid, code didn't come on for three days..........now it's back. Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Re: Brother in law\'s EGR code coming up.................

vacuum leak somewhere causing the EGR to do funky things?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can you see if the EGR is being commanded to "open" by the ECM when it shouldn't be? Perhaps the solenoid isn't getting power when the ECM tells it to, and the ECM can "see" that it's not operating right, so sets a code?

On older stuff I'd say that isn't likely, but on a '95, there might be a larger degree of EGR operation monitoring. (EGR temp, etc)

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Can you see if the EGR is being commanded to "open" by the ECM when it shouldn't be? Perhaps the solenoid isn't getting power when the ECM tells it to, and the ECM can "see" that it's not operating right, so sets a code?

On older stuff I'd say that isn't likely, but on a '95, there might be a larger degree of EGR operation monitoring. (EGR temp, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll get him to bring it over and take a spin down the highway with him driving and me monitoring the scanner. Thanks for the ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Found out from a friend just now that even the '88 Camaro setup monitors EGR temp for operation, so I guess it IS possible even on the older setups.