Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brown Recluse Spiders

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by '73 K5, Aug 13, 2003.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

So my wife and I buy this real nice house about 2 months ago. Once we move in we start seeing more and more of these bastards running around in the garage and basement...working their way upstairs. When I almost stepped on one the other night with no shoes on, I knew it was time to call an exterminator. I wanted him to be able to hit all the corners and edges out in the garage so I moved the cars out and everything to the center. I ended up killing 9 of them just this evening by moving that stuff. When dude got here he went back to his truck and added more poison to his spray before he started. I think this is one of the worst things I hate about Kansas. Anyone else have any BR spider stories???

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

ahhhh no... but I read a thing about em at my friends house the other day... that's partly what motivated me to clean my room... Spiders scare the holy living [I love Jeeps] outta me... them and snakes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

the pics with the thing I read were disgusting... It sure would suck to get bitten by one of those bastards... kill em all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

I'm from Kansas too and we had them up there. I live in Texas now and we've got them at the refinery where I work. At work, someone gives a safety tip every morning at the end of the operations meeting as a way to send everyone off to work. One of the safety topics last week was how to recognize brown recluse spiders. Then they showed pictures of a guy's hand who had been bitten by one. It starts off like no big deal, after a couple of weeks it looked like his whole hand was rotting off. You could see the bone in a couple of places. It was terrible. Those spiders are the worst kind in my opinion. I had a high school teacher that got bit on the hip while she was gardening many years ago. You could see the scar years later where a big chunk of her flesh had just rotted and fell off. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm pretty paranoid now. Any spider I see in the house that might be one I treat real carefully. I always check the marks on the back to see if I may have any in the house; then I mash it real good. Those things are not to be messed with.....Be careful

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I was a pest contol company manager for over five years here in CA.. Luckily we don't have those here.. But I did have to study them for my branch 2 test.. Those things are nasty.. No matter what have the pest contol company come back in two weeks and do it again. There is not pestcide that will kill the eggs. Tell them you saw a lot of spiders again in two weeks and have them come out and do it for free.. No pest contol company is going to tell you they can't kill the eggs.. Cause they don't want to come back and do it for free...

5. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Actually there are here in El Centro, CA... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif don't believe I've seen one at my house here on base but then again I smash the hell out of every spider I see...unless it's a daddy long leg..lots of black widows here also /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I'm lucky I guess, both the 2 cat's, and the dog eat spider's.

Cut's down on expense's ya know. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I bought a 75 Firebird that was loaded with them. I had to bomb the garage 3 or 4 times to get rid of them. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Those fawkers are mean!

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

A guy I worked with got bit on the cheekbone while he was asleep in his own bed...Fawked him up really bad...he had to take early retirement, etc and lost part of his nose...he's had a couple surgeries for his eye...

I spray and fog my house and shop pretty regular...any advice from experts on type of product to use is appreciated...I use the "good stuff" from Homely Depot...

9. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Man, just reading this post is giving me the creeps! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Worst I've had is one hanging out in my tent at summer camp /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

11. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

that is one bad spider.. i'm glad i haven't seen any around here.

12. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

my dad got bit by one about 5 to 10 years ago. don't remember but he had a big ol crater in his arm from it. got it treated and everything was fine but man it was scary. he didn't even feel the bite or know what happened till the doctor told him what it was. said ya don't feel em bite ya. scary sum bitches i tell ya. i kill any brown spider i see. lol. i will leave daddy long legs alone though. their cool in my book. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. gokartergo

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually there are here in El Centro, CA... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif don't believe I've seen one at my house here on base but then again I smash the hell out of every spider I see...unless it's a daddy long leg..lots of black widows here also /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been out of that industry for about 5 years. But at that time the only reported case of one of the brown recluse spiders in CA was back in 1979.. And it came here in a crate of oranges from Florida. If you find one here in CA you should report it to the county Ag department..

14. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

My boss in San Berardino, CA. had a horse who was killed by one in the early 80s. Don't know if he had to have the horse put down or if it just died from the bite. But he said the same type of stuff about how it starts off very small and then eats away at the flesh.

15. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Good timing for this post /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I'm in the process of demolishing my bathroom down to the studs, just about done. Not only have I found an ants nest but have found an entire eco-system in the rotting walls. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Of course I've stumbled across brown spiders too and smashed them so I can't recall exactly what they looked like. I'm wondering if the web of the brown recluse is tough, shiney and sticky like a black widows.

16. gokartergo

[ QUOTE ]
    Good timing for this post /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I'm in the process of demolishing my bathroom down to the studs, just about done. Not only have I found an ants nest but have found an entire eco-system in the rotting walls. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Of course I've stumbled across brown spiders too and smashed them so I can't recall exactly what they looked like. I'm wondering if the web of the brown recluse is tough, shiney and sticky like a black widows.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL When I was in Pest control I did it up in your area.. Mostly Burlingame and Hilsbourgho.. What you have a lot of is Wolf spiders.. They make really thick webs.. They can get pretty big to.. .Just ugly.. Not dangerous. The problem with the Brown recluse is.. Most of the doctors here in Ca went to school back east.. So they learned about them. But they are not out here.. So if a doctor see's a bite.. He automaticly asssumes Brown Recluse.. But there are a lot of other spiders that can do almost as much damage and in the same way.. Just there are a lot more Brown recluses back east..

17. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I didn't know them rich folks had pests. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    So now I'm paranoid. This thread has halted my destruction process.
    Any one want to take their frustrations out on my walls with a sledge? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I didn't know them rich folks had pests. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually it's not bad. Whenever the spiders get too bad, the wife and I take our butler and hop on the Cessna to go to our cottage in the Hamtons. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. gokartergo

I did all those mansions up there.. Ther worst problem was roof rats.. They love all that IVY.. Made quit a bit of money there...LOL

20. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status