Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Browning A-bolt question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Desert Rat, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

7mm Rem. mag or 300 Win. mag? Hunting will be antelope, elk, deer, and occasionally black bear in Ca., Nevada, Montana, and Wyoming.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Both are good choices. Pick which one strikes your fancy better. They will both do the job just fine.

Harley

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i thought the 7mm mag had the straightest path of any other round out there... more reliable at distances. im one of those guys at the 500 i can hit anything, but the 300 i cant and the 200 im about 75%... dunno how that works... but it does.

get a 500 win mag revolver and hunt with that... makes bear hunting more of a do or die thing...
    Grant

4. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

How big are the deer there? jeeze thats such a big round. Ive been there when deer is shot with a 7mm mag and the blood shot meat that is lost is a huge amount, totally devastating. I would certainly use either one of those choices for elk here in AZ but I gotta stick to my trusty '06 for deer.

[​IMG]

5. Desert Rat

7mm shouldn't be too bad for deer, but the 300 is overkill. But, I want a rifle that I can use for all of them. The .270 is a tad bit small and the 30.06 is a bit large and heavy. The 7mm is a really flat shooting gun and what I had originally picked out. But, I'm hearing a lot of good things about the 300 too.

6. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I've got an A-bolt in .300 Win Mag. If I were to do it over today, I'd get one of the short magnums. They are modern rounds with up to date technology. I don't like the long bolt throw of the mag rounds. Next rifle I get will be a Remington 700 in .308 with the heavy barrel and all the bells and whistles. Happy hunting.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

7Mag for anything with hooves.
    300Mag for anything with claws and teeth,up to 500 lbs, then go BIGGER.

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

that's a good rule of thumb.

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The quality of the initial run of short mag a-bolts SUCKED!!!! It might be different now but I bought one of the first .300 short mag a-bolts and it'd do 3 moa and nothing better no matter the load or the condition. The holes on the receiver for mounts were drilled crooked and tapped out of whack. End of mini-rant. No offense to you I just had a really bad experience with that particular gun.

I think either would do just fine for what you're looking for. I personally now own a 300 long mag a-bolt and have used it on antelope and deer at long range and love it. It has reached out and touched two antelope for me and one deer for my dad when he didn't want to use his .270 for the shot. He also owns a 7mm mag in a Winchester and has taken one deer and one antelope with it (one shot kills) but I wasn't along either time so I can't vouch for things like range and shot placement, etc.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

7MM Mag hands down. IMHO Its the best all around for any North American Big/ medium game and Even some African big game. With good loads and Nosler partitions I would stand my 7mm Mag against any other Mag round espically at long range over 300 yards. If you want a Browning. I would get a 7MM MAG BAR. I would not spend the money on a A bolt. Rem BDL or WIN mod 70 are as good or better IMHO.

11. Desert Rat

I have a buddy who swears by his Remington BDL but I don't like the long throw of the bolt. It damn near wacks his scope every time. Another couple of buddies swear by their A-bolts. I like the short throw and the quality seems ok to me. Why a BAR? Most folks I've talked to decry the auto loaders as less accurate than bolt action.

12. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go with an a-bolt, you won't be disappointed. The weight distribution and the bolt throw are the two reasons I picked an a-bolt as my first rifle rather than a remington or winchester and I've never looked back. I have a .243 (first one), .270, .300, and .22-250 and all of them shoot 1/2 MOA or better. Three out of the four are capable of 1/4 MOA at 100 yds with the right load and a steady hand.

BAR's are good guns and consistantly pretty accurate but you won't match the accuracy of a bolt gun with an autoloader.