Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BRPD Officers shot

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BowtieBlazer, Jan 24, 2004.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

As always here is the story, I was outside last night turning wrenches and heard about 30 units flying through the streets around my house. Turns out three officers where shot by stolen vehicle occupants.
    http://wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=1614933

The anti police story is a bit out there, I have lost all respect for this news paper.
    http://2theadvocate.com/stories/012404/new_wound001.shtml

The general area where the chase ended was one of the highest crime areas in the city, all project, low income housing. What do you think?

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    “It was one shot and then it was like machine-gun fire,” said Clayton Ethridge of Jackson, who was making a U-turn on Florida Boulevard when the chase passed him. “They just started drilling the car.”

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, then explain how THREE officers were shot. . . way to go jerktard /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

people complaining about too many cops because thy're scared the cops'll se their crack pipes. . . if an officer is shot, it IS the most important thing going on at the time, because that's not one life in danger, it's all the lives he can save on duty.

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i think police need to work to find a better way to stop cars. high speed chases create more problems than they need to.

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

As always it's a shame to see the way people disrespect the officers risking life and limb to serve and protect us.

I hope those guys pull through. Thats one of the toughest jobs out there and I have nothing but respect for those in uniform doing their jobs.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I hold High respect for cops. We recently had a shoot out down town. A sgt on the force took a bullet to the leg, lots of damage. he ended up losing the leg. to much damage. The guys who shot at him and his partner was in a stolen car that they pulled over for a simple traffic stop. The guy jumped out and started shooting at the cops! The driver of the car took a bullet, but is fine now. the passenger fled and never found. AND NOW the officers are under fire for discharging there weapons on the city street!! WHAT THE F^%$ WOULD YOU LIKE THEM TO HAVE DONE!! the guy lost his leg in the shootout!! give him an effin break!
    I know there are situations from the police that could be handeled differently, but can you do their job?? It's tough! I have 3 friends that are local cops and 2 that are state troopers. I get to hear it all!!

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    i think police need to work to find a better way to stop cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, time to arm cop caps with anti-tank missiles.

j

7. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Would be nice. You shoot a police officer, Your gettin your head thumped, If your still alive when they get to ya. Officers have absolutly NO pity for someone who tries to take the life of another officer. If by some chance you ARE alive when the officers get to you, you better believe them cuffs are gonna be the tightest they've ever been. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ya know, I think when I hear about Cops having no pity for someone that shoots another officer, I feel a little out of "the club". So if a guy shot me in cold blood, the cops *would* have pity/mercy when they catch the guy? Makes me feel like they think "Hey, it's bad to shoot at people, but it's worse to shoot at cops." I would think cops probably get shot at more than an average Joe would, just because it comes with the territory.

[ QUOTE ]
    but can you do their job?? It's tough!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I might be going for a state boy job before 1/31...

BTW, pre-flameage; I just found out a high school friend of mine was shot 3 times while trying to arrest someone and working plain clothes in Queens. He wears a bulletproof vest as standard practice, so the bullet they pulled from above his heart didn't do any damage, but he still can't walk right from the one that shattered his ankle (overall, a kinda funny story, too).

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i think police need to work to find a better way to stop cars. high speed chases create more problems than they need to.

[/ QUOTE ]

[darn] tired about all of this being put on the cops. Guess what, the guy committed one crime, maybe a minor traffic violation. Well he fled, in some states that's a felony.

Now we have a fleeing a**hat who is in control of the situation and the cops trying to do their job and stop this guy.

Now I have heard of studies showing that a majority of people fleeing are just scared. Not around here. Crank, parolees and fugitives are just some of the reasons why these losers are running.

Around these parts lately, they've had a few pursuits go bad because the suspect was out of control. Suspects shot, civilians injured and wrecked.

You can argue all about better ways. Guess what, it takes time and good brainwork to set a spike strip. Not all agencies have access to air support.

I don't know about you, but if I was to die tomorrow morning after being broadsided by an a**hat fleeing from the cops and the cops catch the guy, it's no big deal to me cause the cops have a hard enough job without whinya** civilians who are clueless to the situation second guessing them.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know about you, but if I was to die tomorrow morning after being broadsided by an a**hat fleeing from the cops and the cops catch the guy, it's no big deal to me cause the cops have a hard enough job without whinya** civilians who are clueless to the situation second guessing them.

[/ QUOTE ] Not trying to start anything with you on this one Bubba, but I'd be very upset if a family member got killed becouse the cops were chacing some guy/girl with alittle dope or what not. They got the plate number, let the shithead go and pic him/her up later. Yeah yeah, what if it's a stolden car ??? I still don't think it's worth dying / loosing a loved one over. (This is just my opinion, you are welcome to yours aswell.)

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    They got the plate number, let the shithead go and pic him/her up later. Yeah yeah, what if it's a stolden car ??? I still don't think it's worth dying / loosing a loved one over. (This is just my opinion, you are welcome to yours aswell.)

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't always get the plate number and a lot of chases start and end within minutes and there's not always time to get a plate and as for knowing where they are, what if they are hiding?????

The people need to start laying the hammer down of the [darn] legislators in this country, start running some liberals off, and let them start swinging the [darn] hammer when it comes to the justice system so the cops can start swinging the hammer.........

It's beyond the point of irritating hearing about some idiot who ran from the cops who didn't check in with his PO or violated and he's in a stolen car. Guess what, he's just going to be out on the street somewhere down the run and knows anything else except infrining on peaceful citizen's rights to live in a quiet and secure existance.

Innocents' death, while tragic, is not the fault of the cops cause it wasn't the cops that initiated the situation.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Innocents' death, while tragic, is not the fault of the cops cause it wasn't the cops that initiated the situation.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree with you there, and I couldn't blaim the officers for following policy. But I do think policy needs to be changed. "To protect and serve" TO PROTECT should be #1 in my opinion. If someone is running, let them go so they don't plow into someone else trying to get away. Okay, I lost a good friend years ago becouse he got hit by some jackass running from the cops. I don't blaim the cops, I blaim the people who make up the rules the cops have too follow.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree with you there, and I couldn't blaim the officers for following policy. But I do think policy needs to be changed. "To protect and serve" TO PROTECT should be #1 in my opinion. If someone is running, let them go so they don't plow into someone else trying to get away. Okay, I lost a good friend years ago becouse he got hit by some jackass running from the cops. I don't blaim the cops, I blaim the people who make up the rules the cops have too follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I guess you're an expert on agency policy.

Here's a little tidbit. A lot of agencies out here have very black and white policies. A lot of them have strict guidelines concerning pursuits. Then if the pursuit is within guidelines, the officer always has discretion on whether to terminate and the supervisor also has the discretion to call his officers off. Some are more lax than others, and others are so strict they should turn their badge in and go into selling woman's shoes down at the mall....................

Also some agencies like to turn their job over to CHP and let CHP finish it just because of liability. It's always cheaper to settle, no matter if the officers were right than it is to go to court and the localities don't want to pay the money. So it has come down to money, the stuff that makes the world go around. And we can thank the lawyers for that one..........

[darn] that.....................

[darn] civilians who always whine about this that and the other when it comes to law enforcement, which really amazes me since it seems like the idiotic cranksters and gang bangers who get interviewed on TV are law enforcement experts and not the ones who do the jobs............

All I say in the end is if you are so pissed off at cops and think they are always at fault for what some scumbag started, then move to [darn] Mexico. You will be praying for the professional and educated officers that populate our country who are not out there to roll the tourists or civilians for a couple of dollars cause their government doesn't give a rat's a** about the level of professionalism in their police ranks..................

14. BowtieBlazer

Couldn't agree more on those points including running the liberals off.

About 3 months ago they had a shooting in a Albertsons grocery store not far from where I work, the 3 suspects went inside, first person they see is a state trooper (sadly a uniform makes you a traget to the criminals) who was shopping and shoot at him, he returns one shot and ends up getting hit with a lifethreatening blow. Suspects were never found to this day, and these guys were thought to have maybe been the same people, hence the urgency to try and stop these guys, turns out they weren't but still...Pursuit or not these guys will haul arse, they just stole a car, they aren't going to drive normal speed from neighborhood to neighbor hood waiting for a cop to catch them. Ever heard "drive it like you stole it" people didnt just recently start hauling ass when they get in trouble or get involved in this type of risky behavior. Its called pursue and stop the car don't let them make it to the neighbor hood where they will fly over all the children.

This particular chase ended in the neighborhood which happens to be minority and very liberal. Probably where these guys grew up at, with the crackheads and other cop haters.

Relating back to the state trooper shot about 3 months ago, they blockaded off about a square mile from where they ditched the stolen escape car and searched with huge police and dog teams with air assistance for about 24 hrs with no avail(rich part of town) Last time a city officer was shot and killed ( same area where this most recent chase ended), the force was ordered to not patrol that particular street for the next 18months, at which time the dealers took over the neighborhood and had their way.

Sad to see some of the politics in all of this....My greatest gratitude to all in the armed and civilian law enforcements.

15. BowtieBlazer

[ QUOTE ]
    I would think cops probably get shot at more than an average Joe would, just because it comes with the territory.

[/ QUOTE ]

In some cases....yes.

16. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

relax.
    i understand what your saying
    im not saying police suck
    im saying they need to devise 1) less dangerous manors of apprehension, that doesnt take place on a public forum. 2) more effective (sometimes they get away, die)

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I still say they allow civilians to take pot shots at anyone running from a cop. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'd be scoping out my window all day...

18. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When im cruising on the highway, I sometimes get this feeling im going to get asspacked by some idiot running from the cops going 120.

19. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

if you run from the cops. . . you are waiving all your rights in my opinion. i think after 1-2 miles of running they just start firing into the back glass with the 12 gauge. that'd work fine, and publisize the new policy to PREVENT escape attempts. they are taking the safety of other therefore they waive the right to their own.

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I agree with you there, and I couldn't blaim the officers for following policy. But I do think policy needs to be changed. "To protect and serve" TO PROTECT should be #1 in my opinion. If someone is running, let them go so they don't plow into someone else trying to get away. Okay, I lost a good friend years ago becouse he got hit by some jackass running from the cops. I don't blaim the cops, I blaim the people who make up the rules the cops have too follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a little tidbit. A lot of agencies out here have very black and white policies. A lot of them have strict guidelines concerning pursuits. Then if the pursuit is within guidelines, the officer always has discretion on whether to terminate and the supervisor also has the discretion to call his officers off. Some are more lax than others, and others are so strict they should turn their badge in and go into selling woman's shoes down at the mall....................

Also some agencies like to turn their job over to CHP and let CHP finish it just because of liability. It's always cheaper to settle, no matter if the officers were right than it is to go to court and the localities don't want to pay the money. So it has come down to money, the stuff that makes the world go around. And we can thank the lawyers for that one..........

[darn] that.....................

[darn] civilians who always whine about this that and the other when it comes to law enforcement, which really amazes me since it seems like the idiotic cranksters and gang bangers who get interviewed on TV are law enforcement experts and not the ones who do the jobs............

All I say in the end is if you are so pissed off at cops and think they are always at fault for what some scumbag started, then move to [darn] Mexico. You will be praying for the professional and educated officers that populate our country who are not out there to roll the tourists or civilians for a couple of dollars cause their government doesn't give a rat's a** about the level of professionalism in their police ranks..................

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] There you go again. I never once said anything about being a expert. And once again what I said went completely over your head. I was saying I blaim the policy makers, not the cops who have too follow said policys. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I also said that you are entitled to your opinions just like I am to mine.