Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Brushgaurds

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Nov 5, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What brushguards look good on the blazer, my friend say they all look ugly on blazers. Can you send me links? thanks And im looking for good protection like for my lights and grille not only looks. Thanks!

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next...highflow cat, single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D

2. Know Fear

Know Fear Registered Member

Sorry, but I agree with your friend. The blazers are square trucks, so are the grill guards made fot them. Personaly, I realy like the winch bumper (I forget what brand it is) that's posted in the vendor portion on Colorado K5. I realy dont see the need for bars to "protect" the head lights. For one, if you dont drive through the woods at 30 mph, there isnt much to worry about, If you stay far enough behind the driver infront of you (a good thing to do.....trust me!) there's no chance of a branch he pushes aside to swing back into your truck, and third, I dont see how they do any real protection anyway. I had a wrap-a-round brush guard on my Y2K Dodge 4x4 and was always worried about being in a wreck, those head light bars would just be shoved into the fenders and cause more damage. If it's the grill, radiator, ext that your worried about, get just the grill guard, without the brush guards. They look good.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I havent seen any that look good on Blazers either...I think I'd be more worried about messing up the brush guard than messing up the stuff that it supposedly protects...kinda like those taillight guards you always see on luxo-SUV's...Do you want to break the $200 taillight guard or the $20 lens? Or both?

90K5

4. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I like mine, I think it makes the truck look tougher. I run some narrow forrest service roads and am always smacking through some trees. I would probably have broken headlights if not for the gaurds. Too back they won't stop my sides from getting all scratched up. I don't know the brand because I got it out of the junkyard. The pushbar attaches to the frame and bumper. Heres a big picture. <a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/026/MI/hz/qP/2y25726.jpg>FRONT SHOT</a>

Let The Sun Shine Down Upon My Face
    Topless 73
    RUNCOOL</font color=blue>

5. Know Fear

Know Fear Registered Member

They sell one kinda like that in JC Whittney, but I forget who makes it.

6. MITCH_89'

MITCH_89' Registered Member

Here are some pics of mine that I had made in Texas. I made a drawing of what I wanted. Good luck
    <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1599179&amp;a=12186469&amp;f=0>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1599179&amp;a=12186469&amp;f=0</a>

BLAZE IT UP!!

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I like the one Lazymon posted as the classic style. Also really like the ones that came on the military CUCV trucks. You can usually find these pretty cheap in the public sector. Call FSJeeper down in houston if you want one of these. As for myself, I'll be making my bumpers this weekend from 4x2 3/16 wall square tube for the bottom pieces, and a rock bar out of 1-3/4" .109 wall tubing I've got leftover from the cage!!!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

you can check mine out at :<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thumper>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thumper</a>
    I like it, it has saved my lights from many a tree branch, as well as a buffer. When I turn around in a tight spot, I can pull forward until the brush guard touches, then reverse without damaging the body or trim.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I have the same one, but the extensions are a little different. As far as protection, it doesn't do me much good, I've pushed them back to the fenders several times, but they do spring back. They'er basically there for looks. I don't have a body lift, so the extensions line up nice with tht top headlights. The new 4X Extreme Video Magazine has a few nice shots of me grinding them into a rock on Upper Helldorado.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

You have the same as mine? Did you see my pic of the top bolts rip out of the mount? You may want to take a look at them and make sure they are well mounted.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

11. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

first of all, kick yourself for listening to what your friends think is 'cool'. then, for good measure, kick your friend a few times. now with that out of the way....

don't buy a brushguard or a fancy exhaust, save your cash and lock your axles. then proceed to spank all your friends ( unless they're locked, or you are already ) by easing over in 2wd the obstacle that leaves them spinning a front and a rear in 4wd. then ask them what's 'cool'.....

if you feel a brushguard a necessity, get one of those ones the county puts on their trucks.... they're all over the place for cheap////

i just bought a big horizontal bandsaw, so i'm fixin' to start making my own!!

greg here in houston....

12. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

13. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.ec4x4e.com/schedule_and_photos/102701%20Dave%20D%20and%20Camping/HD%20Blazer.jpg>http://www.ec4x4e.com/schedule_and_photos/102701%20Dave%20D%20and%20Camping/HD%20Blazer.jpg</a> No thanks neccasary [​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    GO BUSH

14. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Is that your wife in the hood engine compartment ???? I need to get one of those arm things, haha !

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    GO BUSH

15. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

How did he do dat?.......................The wife actually decorates the truck for different hoildays and the arm thing was kinda left over from Halloween! She says it's her mechanic.

Ron

'84 K5......Tree Fitty, SM465/Np205, D44/14BFF, Pro-jection! .....and of coarse no other color than Odie!

16. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with some others when they say don't do stuff just cause your friends say so. Have some backbone and do whatever you want to do. It is your truck... they don't like it... well don't pull em out next time they are stuck [​IMG] LOL.

Everyone has different tastes... I hate the poser brushguards personally...(Although Lazy's look AWSOME!) they are on all the yuppie SUV's and trucks now. I like the grill guard to help the minor slow speed slides into smaller trees when the trails get wet wet and slick. Also a good spot for your KC lights. I also really like quite a few of the fabbed up ones. Way beefer then the chessy bolt to bumper ones.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My truck came with a grille guard from a previous owner. I hit an S10 pickup head on with it at 25 MPH. I did over $4,000 in damage to the S10 and didn't hurt or scratch my truck at all.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

18. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

if it was a bolt-on, i'd dare say it wasn't the brushguard that made the difference, it was the all-steel-no-impact-absorber bumper-on-frame construction that it came from the factory with-

bolt on brushguards just bend up and into the core support and hood! i've seen it a thousand times! unless you're running a fully fabbed guard coming up from and gusseted to an aftermarket or homemade bumper, they're not gonna do much, 'cept maybe cut down on the scrapes on the fender right past the headlight plastic.... i'll support and defend my decision fully, cause as the son of the owner of a collision shop, i've seen the results....

PS most of 'em cut approach angles!

PSS look at the monster new ranch hand bumpers, the brush guard part is tabbed more on the sides to the bumper itself than it used to be....

PSSS you hit that poor s-10 in the core support didn't you- the bumpers didn't line up! it didn't have a snowball's chance in hell! i hope both of you were OK!