Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BSA members... who's ever been on staff at a camp?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Jul 15, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

BSA members... who\'s ever been on staff at a camp?

i have, i did camp del webb high adventure base in so. UT last year. and i'm doing it again this year, in fact i leave tomorrow. these guys at del webb have 25 staff members and over 750 people to put through the camp. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif they're dieing up there. i'm driving the sub up there lets hope it makes it, it hasn't been out on the highway in over 2yrs. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif and there's some good wheelin up there, when i get a day off i'm gonna do some crawlin to get prepared for moab. and of course there's mud there. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif so when i get back yall need to update me on everything that has happened. i won't be back til the 6th of august. i'll be on tonight but tomorrow i leave in the morning. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif so does anyone in the area wanna come help? good food, good people and good weather. oh and i'll get paid to climb and rappell all day. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Re: BSA members... who\'s ever been on staff at a camp?

Swing by and pick me up /forums/images/icons/smile.gif . I've never gotten the chance to. After I got Eagle and Graduated I had to start working to pay for my vehicle's so that kinda killed it. Have fun up there hopefully that's not 750 all at one time /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif .

James

3. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

My friends on staff at Flaming Arrow Scout Reservation in Fl. I used to be in scouts but dropped out before highschool

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

no not all at one time. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif if it were i wouldn't go.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

So how are you a greenie? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i would go if i was closer...i made it to life scout..but almost finished eagle...all i had to do was 2 more badges and the service project..but i got my drivers licence then i lost intrest...damn i wish i would have finished it...i feel like a retard for doin all that work then just bailin at the end..oh well not much i can do about it now /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I did staff at Camp Geronimo, in Payson AZ when I was younger. (14) I took a less adventerous position at the trading post, but gained quite an interesting patch collection from it... about the middle of the week, most scouts had wasted thier money, and were starting to feel the need for more sugar... so, I'd shell out a few bucks for a patch, and they'd get their sugar fix.

-Rich

8. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Hey guy's!!! I may be part of the staff for our Cubscout day camp this year. And believe it or not...I am a leader as well. I am a Tiger Cub leader. I was a co leader last year but will be on my own this year. Should be fun. BTW....have a great time. I remember what it was like when my brothers went to camp every year. They loved it.

9. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

i worked aquatics at good ole camp sidney dew in northwest georgia. camp is fun, but the pay is about enough to let me buy one swamper for the whole summer. that is what sucks. you meet many new people. i would love to work climbing/COPE, but im not old enough. i guess ill stick to being an aqua god. have fun at camp. ours is 42 staffers to a biggest week of 400. just got done last sunday. have fun

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Yea I'll jump on this wagon, I'm the shooting sports director here in North Texas at Camp James Ray, (formerly Camp Grayson) Did it last year and came back and did it this year, kinda sad when after 4 weeks a kid points a gun at you and you don't get excited, ok now lets keep that down range and if you don't.........

11. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I received my Eagle on May 2, 2002. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I know this may sound crazy but what has to be done to achieve Eagle rank? It has been so long since my brother's were in scouts that I don't remember and my son is basically just starting.

13. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Lots of time and commitment. I've been active in scouting for almost 11 years. They've changed the merit badge requirements just recently but I think you need a total of 21 merit badges with 12 eagle required. I've got 30 and need 5 more to get all 3 three eagle palms /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif . The hardest thing is the Eagle project. I had a total of 146 man hours on my Eagle project. It's all very rewarding now that I've got my Eagle. Thanks for listening. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Eagle Scout Jan. 16th 1997 16 years old /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My four sons are Eagles and have all served on camp staff, and all have Silver Palms, all are OA Vigil members. My wife and I each hold the Silver Beaver award and are Vigil Honor, we have both served as COPE Directors (and are currently still certified). My wife and I currently serve on the Far West Eagle Board.

16. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

This is the 3rd year the wife and I have been involved with scouts. She is a weblos leader, and has been a coleader, and committee member. I am cubmaster and have been coleader before. Kid is a Weblos 2. After next year guess its on to boy scouts. Anyway we have a good time with Day Camp, Pinwood Derby, Campouts, and Klondike. I was only in cubscouts myself for a couple years.

17. 88jimmyoungowner

and it all started by the person who signed up your son saying that it was just an hour a wwek for meetings, and now your more into it than most everyone else here. thats great that your sons are active in OA. im the lodge vice-cheif of programs. camp is fun, but OA is 20 times better. no annoying 11 year olds. my favorite thing to do to kids is make the ones that run down the hill to our pool walk back to the top of the hill and walk back down. that and kick people ouyt of the pool during free swim for horseplay, diving, and other rules that have been broken. the kids lo ve it when you kick them out three minutes into free swim /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I've been involved in scouting forever it seems... besides doing the staff thing, I'm currently an assistant scoutmaster for my old troop. I have an outsanding offer to anyone else in the troop who can get their eagle before they turn 14 ( I got my eagle when I was 13) to a free night at Gameworks, for them and a friend... unfortunately, I havn't had to pay out on that one yet, although I have one who's close, and one who's determined to.

-Rich

19. 88jimmyoungowner

i dont mean to criticize your bet thingy, but ive seen so many 13 and 14 year old eagles that are too immature to even understand what leadership is that its not even funny. maybe this is just my troop(where most of these eagles have been from) becasue we turn out eagels at a faster rate than any other troop in our council. if they deserve it, and are mature enough, then let them go for it, but please dont just let boys get eagle becasue they have 21 merit badges, did a project, and come to their board. dont even let them go to the district elvel board until they are mature enough in your eyes, and the eyes of the other leaders. i was almost a 13 year old eagle, and i am glad that I wasnt. gettting my eagle later made me appreciate it more and also understand what my scout leaders were telling me about whem they said that i was a leader. hopefully i have not ofended you as this is just my personal view. our troop has ealges who are 12 sometimes. it is just too young. thank you for your time