Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bubba or any security ppl...home security advice needed...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by poinzey, Oct 28, 2005.

1. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

My girlfriend is having a rash of home burglaries in her town atm. Yesterday she was broken into the second time in under a month. From the looks of it they are coming in through the window air conditioners. It is someone, probably local, that is smart enough to go after little stuff and get in and out between patrol rounds of the local police.

After the first time, we were advised to put a bar in the window to keep it from opening, but apparently there is enough wiggle room to tilt the units up and out still. So, my current plan is to frame out the window units with some hardwood 1x4's with 2x4's in the center so that the units are fixed permanently. I also want to get some locks for the sides of the windows that will keep them from opening, but still be able to open some a few inches for ventilation.

Money is tight for both of us now so that is a consideration, but also she wants to feel secure without having to make it look and feel like a prison. I know we have a lot of good heads around here so any advice/ideas are greatly appreciated. TIA
    Tony

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I got an idea... a .357 mag, a box of rounds and a chair.

3. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Got that one covered, next door neighbor is between jobs and is gonna keep a watch out. :D

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

a good guard dog?

5. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I second that. My chow/shephard mix wont even let the flyer guys get close to the door without making them think they are getting bit! Burglars hate big dogs.

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

This advice will work for you, (and in after writing this and rereading it, I see it would work for the country as a whole)

Secure all entrypoints so criminals can't easilly sneak in and steal your stuff.

When they try, have a big angry dog and a big gun waiting for them just on the other side.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I always recomend motion lights. They do work very well. Motion lights and talk too the neigbors about forming a neigborhood watch.

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i agree with motion sensor light, however make sure they are taken care of, lil birds like to nest on them and tend to cover up the sensor eye. really a big mean lookin dog would prolly do the trick, cuz itll start barking and that will scare the burglar and he'll run away. im sure ud rather catch him in the act tho and have ur way with him, prolly give the most satisfaction.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Fake cruiser!

I know a guy who lives in a pretty high crime area that bought an old police cruiser at a town auction with a bad motor for 300 bucks.(plans on fixing it up someday)...since he parked it in his yard,no crime in his neighborhood!..everyone thinks he's a cop!.. :crazy: :p:

I'd say the motion sensor lights and a dog are hard to beat..but you dont have to feed a motion detector,or scrape its droppings off your carpets and lawn.. :rolleyes: ;)

Maybe that sprinkler system with a motion detector like Z3PR reccomended to keep cats out of your flower garden will do double duty and douse any potential burgulars too..how about a motion detector activated flamethrower??-- :weld: :weld: --that would work!! :laugh: :haha: :haha:

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

11. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

lol he's not even a suspect. They're a real nice couple. And the old lady across the street is good and nosy so she keeps a eye on the neighborhood for everyone. The problem was they were coming in the back where the windows was not very visible from the street or the alley, and during the daytime even. The local police have their eye on a young couple a few blocks down in an old set of apartments. I like the light and dog idea. Eventually I'd like to get one of the inexpensive systems that have an alarm and lights. I was able to get one of the window units framed in yesterday. Man, they dont make em like they used to, but it aint comin out without big prybar and a lot of noise. I also put those slide locks on all the windows so none of them will open without breaking the glass.

lol, her two boys(16 and 18) were coming up with a lot of good ideas like that, but voted most down cause with my luck I'd forget and get a new haircut. :doah:

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

How high up is the window (1st floor?)

13. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Just lay some strips of plywood on the floor, just inside the windows. Make the strips bout 2 feet wide. Get about 5 pounds of 2 inch deck screws and run them thru the plywood, with the ends exposed. Lay the strips with the points up. If they can get in the windows, they will have a surprise waiting for them. They will play hell getting those buggers pried off their feet!!!

14. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

From the ground the one in back is about 4' and the one on the side in the carport is about 2'.

15. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

a motion sensor in the house works as well as one outside the house. point it at where they may come in and hook up to light/stereo. Not that hard to do.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lots of things you can do.. if windows appear to be the entry of choice, its a good idea to make them non-removable. A dog would be good too... doesn't have to be a guard dog, just something that barks at strangers and alerts you that something is going on. My miniture weiner dogs couldn't hurt anyone, but they bark at EVERYONE. Some guy tries to climb into a window at night in my house and they are gonna go crazy. Then Mr. Badguy gets to meet Mr. H&K. More passive things you could do include mounting motion sensing lights. Another good one is to put a whole bunch of rose bushes or outher prickely stuff right under your windows. For doors, I use the tubular gizmos that go under your doorknob and wedge in there against the floor. These really help resist a forced entry and will, at the very least, make it noisy as hell to get it. Bad guys don't like light/noise... just do whatever you can to make the next door neighbors house look easier than your own and you'll be set.

j

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

THey sell some small alarms at Wal-mart. Like window sensors hooked to a very loud and annoying alarm (think car alarm). Last time I looked they were aout $20/set. I used them in a storage shed - battery operated and you just leave them on. They should do the trick.

You could "accidently" have an exposed extension cord against the metal frame as long as it is insulated from the house and you are sure that no innocent person will touch it and complete the circuit. Problem is that your windows are too close to the ground to ensure that. Try the alarm from walmart.

18. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator