Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bubble bursted by carfax

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric W, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

...I was looking at this truck on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4531754795 . Looks pretty sweet, esp with 77K miles on it... so the ad says, until I ran a carfax and found that this thing has over 100K miles on it, so the real mileage should really be 177K miles. Yup, gonna pass on this one. :(

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Just down the road from me. Wonder if it is any decent(mileage aside). Wonder if they'd take a rusted out burb in trade :D

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

??????? Bids only 1200 that aint bad. It looks fairly clean. Hard to tell from the pics but it dont look to rusty. 177K miles for a 16 year old truck aint that bad. Less than average.
    If i lived close to that truck I'd throw in a 1500 bid and it would be sitting in my drive way.

4. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

My 89 had 165,000 on it when I bought it in 2003. 177K is decent mileage, ESPECIALLY for $1500.00. That's about what I got mine for. Put about $5K into a motor and tranny, lift and tires. Sooooo... for about $6K, I have a dependable, soon-to-be classic. I'd jump on that truck.

5. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

My K10 has about 140k on it I think, tranny has been rebuilt and its not the original motor either. But thats a common mistake when those odos roll, happened on my friends camaro, the seller said it had 80k on it, actually 180k, It has just had a rebuilt 357 put in it and I figured it had been rolled over cause a car with 80k shouldn't have already needed a motor.

6. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

I wonder if it might actually be 275k. The seller said it had body work done so thats why the paint looks the way it does. The last mileage was taken at 128K back in 1998. Since then it has been 7 years. If somebody drove the truck 20K a year, then it is possible it has 275k on it.

I'm a bit leery of buying an ebay truck sight unseen with that many miles on it though. Chances are it will need alot of stuff replaced even to pass inspection. I think I will go back to play A, which is my friend's dad's 86 for $1000 although it has the 305 and carb.

7. offroadnut

offroadnut 1/2 ton status

you should send the guy a message and tell him it has that many miles. that way it will show for others to see.(if he is honest) but I agree with the other guys not bad price for a good truck...(no matter how many miles)

8. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

I just did that. Maybe thats why nobody has bid on it cause they have run carfaxes on it. If the seller does not respond to my question/revise the ad then there is no way I'm bidding on it. :grin:

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

its still a clean looking truck, i would go for it my self.

maybe buy sled dog a beer and he might go look at it for you.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

:D
    Seriouslly its a town over, if you can get the details I'll go take a look at it.

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I'd be all over that for $1200.... So what if it has 177k miles on it.:confused: My truck is 5yrs old and it has 570k on it and it drives like a champ.:D My other truck is 6yrs old and it has 160k on it .:cool1: