Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bucket Seat Brackets

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ShinnyHelmet, Jan 9, 2003.

1. ShinnyHelmet

ShinnyHelmet Registered Member

Well...I am just now putting in some bucket seats that I bought last year. After looking at the brackets for the seats..i have noticed that the brackets that i have are shorter than the holes that are in the floor of the blazer. So im guessing that 71 and 72 are different brackets lengths? If any one has brackets that they would like to sell please let me know...thanks

2. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

Stock bucket seats for all '69 to '72 all have the same brackets. There were some cheaper seats that are a little wider and more square looking but they're rare, I've only seen one pair in a jimmy. I can't be certain that they share the same brackets but I think they at least use the same mounting holes. Are you sure you've got the correct seats. '73 and up definitely won't bolt right up. Do you have the fold foward passenger seat? Somethings not right and you can be pretty sure the holes in the floor are correct.

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

are you installing just diff stock seats? I put in some bucket seats and made new mounts for them. If you want I can get some pic's of it...

4. ShinnyHelmet

well...thinking back im not too sure...I bought them from another member here and im prettyy sure he said they were out of a 72' k5 blazer. Now im thinking that maybe their not? The front of the bracket lines up perfect its just that the rear is about 2 " to short to the holes. And yes the passenger seat flips up. I guess i could check out the yards this weekend..last resort i could just drill rear holes and bolt/nut them. Any ideas or pictures would be great. thanks

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you do that make darn sure you reinforce the floor..... How is that rear seat working?

John

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

SH,

I think I know what's going on!

My Blazer came with a lousy aftermarket bench seat, but the owner had the two original buckets too. When I went to swap them in, the passenger side was no problem....BUT

The driver's side had me confused for a while. There is a "hump" on the floor where the forward bolts go....but on my '72, there are TWO sets of rear seat mounting holes, about 2" apart. If I lay the seat down to line up with the front "hump" holes...they align on the forwardmost holes in the back.

It seems like a nice "stock" installation, but the seat doesn't adjust very far back using those holes. In fact, it won't even go as far back as the passenger seat! What I did was use the "other" set of rear holes (the ones about 2" back) and then fab up a new front mount behind that "mounting hump". It allows me to adjust the seat further back and seems like a better match to the passenger seat.

SO....what I'm guessing is that for some reason, your Blazer tub only has ONE set of rear mounting holes. That's why you can't get the rear bolts to connect to anything. Check the underside of the cab, and see if there are a total of FOUR seat supports under there....maybe they were covered up somehow from the inside????

I can take a pic if this description doesn't make any sense..... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Sounds like '73 and up brackets to me. I ran those type brackets for a while, fabbed up some custom spacers/holddowns for 'em.
    Ran them that way for years.

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

These are the ones I made up to fit some buckets I got, I wanted to be able to recline the seats back, They are bolted down with the 2 holes for the stock seat..

[​IMG]

9. ShinnyHelmet

Thanks Greg72 that is making sense now...pictures would be great! Thanks for taking the time!
    Thanks TonyP and all for replying, it reaLLY HELPS OUT.

10. Greg72

OK, here a pic of what I was talking about:

[​IMG]

The "green" box outlines the holes that were probably intended to be used....all 4 line up with the factory brackets, but the seat won't slide back very far. The "red" box shows how I used the rearmost holes and had to find a new way to secure things at the front "hump"

Does anyone else here have the "two sets" of rear mounting holes? They look "factory since all of them have re-inforcements welded in underneath and appear to all have been done the same way..... Hmmmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  11. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

greg

mine has the 2 sets of holes. my set that is the farthest back just has big screws in them. they are still painted over but onthe bottom they have the same mounting nut welded to the underside. my seat mounts in the front set of holes and lines up fine with the pass..the pass seat back mount has 4 bolts that would require all the holes on the back side
    HMMMMMMMM!

nathan

12. Greg72

Nathan,

I think I just like to "ride way back" in the seat!!!

When my seat was fully slid back in the "stock" location, there was probably about 3" of gap between the seat back and the raised floor area. On the passenger side, the seatback is VERY close to that raised floor....so much that the little "release handle" is quite a challenge to reach sometimes.

I guess that's what I meant by "not lined up" with the passenger side. Anyway, I'm going to figure out a cool mount for the driver's seat so that I can continue to use those rearward holes....I like the seat there a lot more!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

When I install my seat in the new floor I am putting in I plan to fab them in with some J**P mounting brackets so they will tilt and lift forward.

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ill reserve my comment about people who ride way back in the seat. on mine the latch is a pain to get to on pass side to. with mine slid back on the drivers side there is only 3/4" of clearence. this is where i ride with mine b/c im tall. maybe your slider thing gets stuck? either way i know you will come up with a cool way to make it work. the back is off my seat to. it broke off when i was standing on the breaks trying to stop it one time.

nathan

15. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

My 72 does not have any extra holes. I wish it did so I can mount my seats back.. I think I will get rid of these factory seats anyway and put some good ones in.....

John

16. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

hey greg mine has those holes/i got my "new" drivers seat out of a 72 pickup and all the bolt holes are used.all 8 in the back and all 4 up front.

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i was gonna try and put in a 67-72 pickup bench into a 72 K5 i had once but it wasnt gonna work, didnt have rear-ward room enough ot fit the seat in, so there is a difference in front to rear length of floorboard from conventional cab to k5 body tubs

also 73-up will not bolt directly to 67-72 floor, are WAY redesigned in 73, i am unsure why ppl think that seats wiull magically fit from a whole different body style, will with some fabbing as 73-up front of brackets bolts to front face of floor pan and 67-72 mount flat to top of floor pan horizontal part

hope some of this helps too maybe, thought id add,,

good luck

18. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Greg, methinks that there is something wrong with your seat adjuster. My Blazer's driver seat is about 2" in front of the raised bed and the adjuster isn't set all the way back...

19. Greg72

That's a possibility.....though I thought at one point I'd adjusted it ALL the way back (when upside down) to check it visually before installing the seat back in the truck....

Looks like I'd better double-check that though.....

Good to see you back here on CK5 again Steve!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif