Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bucket Seat Conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Canuck, Oct 17, 2000.

1. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Howdy All;

I picked up a set of bucket seats at a yard sale for $150.00 bucks. It's one of those aftermarket sets with the flip down middle seat that has a little storage unit in the bottom and a wooden drink holder in top. It's pretty damn nice. It's grey with a light grey spash across the middle of the seats. I know it retails for $1000.00.

This set up is for an 86 full size pickup. I pulled the seats out of my 86 Blazer to see if they lined up to the bucket frames. Of course they didn't. Has anyone ever installed one of these in there Blazer? I think I need to fab up some mounting brackets. I don't think they sell the right backets for my application.
    The seat does move forward some, so I think I will still be able to access the rear seat. Mind you I removed the rear seat 6 months ago, so access isn't that important. I figure if you can't slip in the back your too fat and shouldn't be in there anyway.
    Any info would be appreciated.

Canuck

Blazer One, Deer None!

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I looked into buying some aftermarket seats like that and some of the companies listed brackets for Blazers. Try getting ahold of salesco.com or steel horse automotive or best of all, the company that made your seats. Chances are, they will have the brackets that you are looking for.

BTW: good find

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

3. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

i added seats from a '98 suburban into my k5. they didn't even come close to the mounting holes of the factory k5 seats. sooooooo...... i just used some air tools and drilled my own holes. i only had to drill through one thing i didn't want to drill through underneath which was a heat deflector on the drivers side. other than that, they were a snap to install. as long as they fit between the doors.

here's a pic.

http://home.earthlink.net/~philmo1/seat2.jpg

phil

4. James

James 1/2 ton status

Just curious as I have been thinking of new seats as well. Why couldn't you just weld the old seat brackets or mounts to the new?

5. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good idea, but, the stock bucket bracket is too high for the seats, or so it seemed when I tried them out just sitting on the bracket.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

6. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

We mounted 94' Suburban seats in our 82' Blazer..the holes didn't match up, but four pieces of strip steel and a few new holes, they mounted great...just make sure you plug up the old holes. We used two of the original holes to mount the steel plates thru for extra support. Took about 2 hours to do both seats, and they look great. Good luck on your project.... I would just sugguest fabricating some new mounts, but hey if you find a way to mount them into the original holes, I am sure we would all be interested.

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com
    http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I've got some '99 Tahoe seats and the console in mine and I just drilled two new holes and they fit, but I need to make some brackets or something soon, because they move around a lot.

90K5