Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bucket seat rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Frickenwirthles, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Frickenwirthles

Frickenwirthles Registered Member

I know this has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find anything.... so here goes....

Anybody know where i can but a re-upholstry kit for my stock captain chairs in my 88 burb? The butt on my seat is starting to seriously deteriorate.

thanks for any help.

2. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

LMC sells the kits.

3. Frickenwirthles

hmm...i didn't think they did....that was the first place i looked...I guess they just didn't have it in the catalog I was looking in....

anybody know of anywhere else? lmc is usually pretty expensive.

4. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Check your local yellow pages and call a few shops. I was quoated $200 each for rebuilding mine. That includes reparing any broken springs, new foam, new upholstery (factory style fabric) and installing seat heaters and headrest speakers that I supply. This price is for me taking the seats in and dropping them off, they said costs would be slightly higher if the had to remove the seats.

5. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

I would go to a local place first.. they are way cheaper than the kit you can buy.

6. Frickenwirthles

ok....so I found that in LMC....but they don't have a reupholstry kit...any mail order catalogs sell inexpensive kits?

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Are you looking for a comlete rebuild (foam, springs, upholstery) or just new upholstery? If you know someone into sewing with a heavy duty sewing machine, you might look into having them make some covers for you using the old covers as a pattern. Old Levi's from a thrift store can become some very durable seat covers. :waytogo:

8. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

What aobut canvas? Is canvas cheaper or more durable than vinyl?

Can it be sewed by a cheap sewing machin?

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

It is doable but usually requires a HD sewing machine. It also would propably need to be heavy canvas to be durable. My dad made a bench seat cover for his old truck using an Army surplus pup tent. He had it on the seat for about 15 years when he sold the truck to a neighbor and last I heard it was still on there. (20 years and going strong in a farm truck)

10. 6.2LTrailblazer84

That sounds cool.. wonder if I could go to one of those military surplus stores find something like that and dye it black?

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Since we have Boeing around here, we have "Boeing Surplus" stores. The fabric they use to coat the seats in the planes is some VERY heavy duty stuff. I think that would be much better than canvas, which rots, and needs a heavy duty sewing machine to sew. I'd expect bus or train seats to use the same type of stuff.

Talk to local places as was suggested. I know my dad had boat seats re-done at a place local. I've not re-done my seats (yet) but I suspect that the foam is something that needs replacing too, and I don't know if it is as simple as trimming to the desired contour, or if it takes a shop a lot of effort to do so.

I was looking at LMC's prices for the seat stuff, and yes, it seemed really expensive to me.

12. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I don't know about dying it but the tents come in two halves (left and right) and last I checked run about $20 bucks in a surplus store. I think it took two halves for the bench seat possibly 3. but figure buying two tents thats only $40 and would still leave one halve that could be used for something else, say a headliner. finding someone to sew it would be the hardest part but I don't think it would even be all that bad. My mom does lots of sewing and from what I gather many machines used by people that do a lot as a hobby etc are strong enough to do the heavy canvas, blue jean denim, and even some thin leathers. At least where I live it would just take asking around at church to find someone able to do the sewing.

13. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Do they sell surplus sound deadening material at those Boeing stores as well?

Thanks, 77crewcab. That sounds really cool. I'm going to try to find some canvas. :D Hopefully if I dye it it doesn't stain all my clothes or something. haha Maybe I can seal it somehow..

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No idea if they sell sound deadener, I wouldn't be surprised. They have a lot of junk there.