Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bucket to bench conversion,feasible ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Jan 28, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i know there was a posting awhile back about converting seats or something. but my idea is, why isnt it feasible one could remove the buckets and place a bench seat in instead, say from a pickup of the same year ? or maybe even newer one that is split for those of you still wanting to retain some resemblence of the sport look. would this not allow access to the rear from both sides of the vehicle as long as the bench seat folded and has slides ? wouldnt a bench seat ride more comfortably also ? was this an option at one time ? i know it was in broncos. wouldnt it bolt up to the same bolt holes ? just an idea.

darrenolander
    galva,il.
    1979chevycheyenneblazer
    350/350
    gettin'down on all fours, 4 a'little
    x4 play !

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I want to know to I wanted to put in a 60/40 bench if possible so the kids can still climb into the back??

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

i have seen it done before with a solid bench seat out of a 90's half ton truck. it looked ok but the only thing was it didnt slide forward and was a pain to get into the back. you would need a 60/40 out of a extended cab truck to have the sliding feature.
    Justin

Austin, Texas K5'er

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Iv got a bench seat out of an older F150.It wasnt that hard to put in.I just had to rework the brackets a bit.The only thing I dont like about the bench is that its flat and in the rough stuff you tend to slide around.I think newer benches have a little shape to the seat bottom that would help keep your a$$ in one place.My neighbor has a 60/40 split bench in his 74 p.u..Its out of a mid 90s chevy.He only paid $200 for it but he says if ya go to a yard they ask $700-$1000.

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

5. 5130

5130 Newbie

Has anyone out there put a bench seat in a Blazer? I was wondering about a 1988 or later seat. If anyone has done this I woud appreciate any tips. Thanks

6. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

let me know if u get rid of those buckets!

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

When I redo my interior this summer, one of my plans is to install a 40/20/40 split bench. I was planning to get an aftermarket one designed for a later model extended cab pickup (before the 3-door models). Those vehicles had the same back seat access issues. By using the 40/20/40, I should be able to have enough seat contour to help hold me in place when offroad, versus sliding around. I also like the idea of ditching the stock center console. While it is nice to have all that space, I often find that it is too much space. I have found stuff that slid to the bottom and stayed there for years! I think I could use it better if it were smaller, like the ones that come on the flip downs for the 40/20/40 setups.

I will be sure to take lots of pics and do a write-up on the swap. If anyone else has any experience with this kind of setup and wants to offer advice BEFORE I start, that would be appreciated.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

8. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I plan to go to the 40/20/40 split bench this weekend.I need it...4 kids and oh yeah the wife!!!I have a pair of very nice '88 buckets now, sliders and recliners.How does the bench seat mount to the K/5 floor?Do you have to use or modify brackets from the buckets?I'm not worried about drilling more holes in my floor.

9. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, in my 77 I have a 60/40 Split bench out of a 96 Silverado Extended cab. I also put a 99 Dodge Ram Bench in an 84 K5.

Both worked well. Mine allows access to the back if you want and did let it do the full recline untill I added the roll bar and cross bar.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

What kind of bracket fabbing did you have to do? On a bench, would you need to get one from a 4WD donor? Is there any construction difference in the seat due to a larger hump for 4WD? (or is there even a difference in the hump in the floor anymore for 4WD vs. 2WD?)

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Please be sure to document your adventure. I REALLY want to go with the 40/20/40 this summer. If you could take pics, that would be great, too. If not, can you at least send me an email with some write-up stuff incl. what you did, problems encountered, what you would do differently a second time, and where you got your 40/20/40 from?

Thanks!

Brian