Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buddy gave me newish-4L60 tranny for free

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Sep 23, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

But how the heck do I get it to work with the carbureted motor? I've been searching the forums trying to find someone who's done the conversion. I've got a 700R4 right now that is pretty much dead, I'd love to swap the 4L60 in but I know that is is electronic and I don't know what else needs to be done to get everything workin together the right way. If anybody has any suggestions, thanks

2. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

You need the stand alone computer. I know JET sells them, but I don't know prices or if anyone else sells them.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I have a friend that is going to swap a 4L80 into his 65 GMC and he is going to get a standalone computer. The one he is getting can be set for two shift patterns. I dont remember where he's getting it or what brand it is. I'll try to remember to ask him next time I talk to him.

4. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I've been searchin around various online parts stores. Can't find a stand alone computer though. Is it pretty much a bolt-in after you find the computer? Same size as a 700? Same output shaft etc?

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You can buy the controler from GM. Any of the place that sell crates and stuff should be able to get it.

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4L60E is electronic - are you sure you have that model?

My 91 has the 4L60 (non-e). I think I would try to convert to non-e in your case.

Are the e-parts all external? Maybe try going to a Dealer and look at the schematics.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just as an FYI, the 4L60 is a 700R4. Only the name was changed, to protect the guilty. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif The 4L60E is a 700R4 that's been modified so that the shift points are controlled by a computer that controls the hydraulics.

8. 2Dogs

Can it be converted or will you ALWAYS need a 'puter for the 4L60E?

9. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

The 4L60-E and 4L80-E each have three solenoids that determine the up-shifting, one for 3-2 (?) downshift, TQ Lockup and a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal for the Force Motor (fluid pressure). The 4L60-E, in addition to a TQ Lockup solenoid also has a PWM Solenoid for controlling the strength of the lockup (?).

To identify the "-E" version, look on the side, above and behind the linkage I believe, for a harness connector -- about 15 pins, I think.

Without something to control those solenoids, there's no way to shift. The advantage is that vendors can provide chips for different shift requirements -- towing vs. economy.

10. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

It came out of a 97, so it's a 4L60E then. Sorry I didn't know they changed them to electronic. So what does this computer go to and how does it know when to shift? I'd love to convert it to mechanical or like the old 700's, since I have a carbureted motor. Thanks again y'all

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 4L60E and 4L80E require that you have the computer or they won't work. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

12. 2Dogs

Peta,
    Looks like you will need to convert to computerized for that tranny.

If you are going to look into that type of upgrade you should go all the way to TBI/TPI plus the e-tranny. This is not required but FI is nice. If you can find the right donor vehicle it might be worth considering.

Or see if you can trade the e for a 700r4 or 4L60.....?

13. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

Actually, the computer only needs a few inputs -- Throttle Position, Vehicle Speed (already on the Tranny), Vacuum and RPM. Check with the kit vendors to be sure.

I'd love to have that tranny handed to me! The computer control gives you a LOT of flexibility, depending on the kit.

14. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I was reading in last months carcraft mag and they installed that tranny in a non computer controled car.
    I will get more info from the mag tommorrow. IT seems to me it was pretty easy to do