Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

budget 350 build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Nov 28, 2006.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Okay first off I have built engines before but never a SBC only BBC. This will be for a 2WD burb used for daily driving, vacations, and light towing.I have gotten a 350 long block core along with a master rebuild kit from Northern Auto Parts. http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=380
    Machine work has already been done, bored .030 over, (pistons, rings and rods assembled and ready to install) and heads checked and valve job done. Other than the .030 over pistons and rings and a HV oil pump the kit is for a stock rebuild.

My plan is to build a reliable motor that will be a good daily driver in a Burb that will also handle some light towing. I am thinking more along low to midrange torque than high horsepower. My first thought is just to add an Edelbrock Performer cam, springs if needed, intake. cloyles timing set, rebuilt q-jet and then some cheap long tube headers. Any other advice or experience with a similar setup is greatly appreciated.

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

only difference between that and mine is I went with a bigger comp cam. great power and low end torque and fairly cheap and reliable. gets decent gas mileage too. I think that if funds were available I would add in a performance distributor and some good wires and plugs.

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

What type of vehicle are you running it in and what mileage are you getting? Which comp cam did you get?

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Edelbrock cams are crap, somebody else's old outdated grinds.

i'd go with a Comp XE4x4 262 or something similar. much more advanced grind.

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

its an 84 k10 with 3/4 tons/3.73s/35s/sm465 I get between 13-15 mpg depending on the weight of my shoes.
    I think the cam was a magnum 260H. Kinda old school low tech but I got it really cheap. when I get the money for some aftermarket heads Im gonna get a lunati voodoo cam.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

honestly, the correct way to build an engine is to determine what RPM range it will be in (using tire size, gear ratio, and most common operating range) and then choose a cam that works well in that RPM range. with that done, assemble your engine around the specs of the cam and the intended fuel. since you already have a longblock, in order to get a cam that's going to work well with your drivetrain, you may end up running premium fuel, where someone who has done as i suggested could easliy get away with the cheap stuff.

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Well I don't intend to ever have it past 4500 rpm. Looking for a good cam in that range. I can change the springs if needed for the cam but what else would I need to consider? This is a 350 from an 86 3/4 ton pickup if that makes a difference. I don't see how doing a cam change would require anything but regular unleaded since I am not looking for a high compression/wild cam combo. I think compression is supposed to be 8.5-9.5 on the engine.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the combusion chamber size, the piston relief size, the deck height, the head gasket thickness (the last two keeping into consideration proper quench distance)

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

But if that is all stock other than the pistons being .030 over how would the required fuel change with just a mild cam?

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status