Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Budget axle upgrade?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rocky91, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Rocky91

Rocky91 Registered Member

I have a 1991 K5, the frame is bad enough that its not worth putting a ton of money into it, but it has to last another 3-5 years. It is mainly a daily driver that sees some towing (up to 3400lbs. + trailer), and occasional backwoods trail. I would like to upgrade the axles as strong as possible but without spending to much money. I can't afford to purchase 8 lug rims or convert an 8 lug to 6 lug, so 8 lug axles are out. I want 4.10 gear in front and back. So my question would be, what are the strongest 6 lug axle? I think Dana 44 up font and 12 bolt in the rear. What do you guys think? Do they offer a 14bolt SF in 6 lug? And what trucks could I find these axles on from a junk yard? Thanks for the help.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Why go thru all the expence and hassel of up grading axels if you dont use your rig hard? the 10 bolts you have are plenty strong enough to handle the tasks you mentioned. Your 91 probabally has 3.73s init now.
    going to 4.10 wont make a whole lot of difference.
    I have 10 bolts in my 89 and I tow quite a bit. I also use my truck off road in some pretty severe stuff. yesterday I did about 30 miles in deep mud and snow and ice playing around in the hills. My 10 bolts are holding up just fine.
    Dont let all the posts about "crappy 10 bolts" make you think they are junk. Sure they are not strong enough for extreme rock crawling and mud bogging or towing a 10000 lb trailer. But for everyday use they work ok.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The only thing I'd mention is that if you are "tempted" to get a 14-Bolt SF (to stay with 6-lug), you still run the risk of being "stranded" if you ever broke an axle. Because of it's design, when the axle breaks....there is nothing to hold the wheel in the axle tube, and it will fall out!!!

If you are worried about getting some additional towing capacity and "beef", you could always get a junkyard 14BFF (8-Lug) and then have it modified back to a 6-Lug pattern. I know that there's a CK5 member can do that for you..... so you can have the GOOD axle, carry heavier loads, and keep your 6-lug wheels!

Anyway, food for thought..... [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I agree with thunder. Stick with what you have. For many years I have used my 85 to tow a 4,000 lb boat. I was running 3.73s in my 10-bolts on 31s and 32s throughout that time and never had a single problem. Our rigs are built from the factory for exactly the use you have described. Its when you start going really big tires or aggressive rock crawling or add a 400+ HP power plant that the 10-bolts become an issue.

There are those that occasionally have had problems with 10-bolts in stock applications, but don't let that worry you. There are also people that have had trouble with their 350s, but that doesn't turn you away from a 350 towards a 454. So don't let those concerns bother either.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

as long as you are not wheeling HARD what you have will do fine

wheeling pics

6. Rocky91

Rocky91 Registered Member

Thanks for all the comments.

I know you guys are right, but I've never been able to leave my vehicles alone. My engine is shot and I have to rebuild it in the spring, hopefully that will be enough to fill my urges. I might do a few performance mods with the rebuild, but nothing near 400hp (that's what I have my Camaro for). Thanks again.

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You could get a set of Moser axle shafts for the 10-bolt if you would like a bit of insurance. Just a thought.
    Ross