Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Budget Dual Snorkel TBI

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by Cricket, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I built a dual snorkel TBI intake, something I've been wanting to do. Did it for less than 20 bucks so I thought I'd share. I know it's been done before but you may have an interest.

This set-up is on my 77K10 TBI conversion - for reference. The air cleaner sits on top of the Hypertech Power Charger "soup bowl" so there's no indexed spacer keeping me from positioning it where necessary.

I used to run an open air K&N element which I stopped using, I don't think they are necessary on anything short of a high performance street motor. I ran it for 4 years and noticed ZERO difference when I switched back to a stock air cleaner.

Anyhow you take 2 good TBI air cleaner bases, one is sacrificed for the snorkel. You take your good one and mark the area you want the second snorkel attached to. Then take a little cut off wheel and make the hole, afterwards tack weld your second snorkel in place. Now you have a dual snorkel cleaner. I got rid of the thermatic air doors in the snorkels on mine, you may want to keep them. The next thing you need to do is decide to run your fresh air tubes.

On my truck I used the stock 1990 TBI snorkel tube on the passenger side and a 1980's camaro short snorkel on the drivers side. Unfortunately these won't reach through the firewall so you need some extra pieces. Here's the simple way I did it.

Go get yourself some 4" plastic gutter tubing and a few 4" gutter tube couplers. A section of tube is less than 4.00 and the couplers are less than 2.00 each. The great thing about 4" gutter tube is that it mates perfectly to your factory snorkels both the truck and car types with oval ends.

No on my 77 there is a 4" diameter hole in the radiator support on the passenger side but none on the driver's side. I had to cut a 4" hole on the drivers. Once that's done take 2 4" gutter couplers and run them through the radiator support. They have retaining ribs on their surface so they'll clip right into place and stay there. Once that's done just route your tubes to them.

On my passenger side the factory snorkel tube was long enough to mate with the radiator support coupler - that was easy. On the drivers side I had to use the short camaro intake tube & a length of the gutter tube to reach the coupler. The nice part about this install is the way everything just clips snugly together.

Here's 10 pictures, not a bunch of fab pics because most of you can cut and weld. Just the gutter parts and finished product.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Here's the rest showing how they come through the support behind your grill.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

cool....

I need to get this done... I have 2 air cleaners and tubes... just want the other tbi tophat thingy that goes in the support..

Now could that gutter stuff be used to totally replace both tubes? It'll ovalize to the air cleaner?

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I don't think you can make it stretch that wide, it's fairly stiff and rugged stuff. You could run it all the way up and just cut off your stock snorkel right after the elbow transitions to an oval. The guttering will fit right over the oval section snugly.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Update:

TBI's like fresh air. :saweet: :saweet: :saweet:

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That's why GM designed it that way. :bow:

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Not putting down your Work
    But
    I am just wondering???? Why do you need a dual feed CAI for TBI on a truck? The stock CAI will flow way more air than a 480 CFM TB will ever need. All you need to do is get rid of the Thermac stuff to clean up the air flow. I guarentee..... The heads, Intake, and TB will run out of air long before the stock CAI intake does.

8. ryoken

A tweaked SB stroker on BB TB parts would enjoy it tho... :wink1:

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Why did I do it? Because it was fun, and there's also the cool factor. What's the point of owning a truck if you don't make it enjoyable and unique in your own way.

I understand that a single snorkel is more than sufficient but dual snorkels make you smile a **** eating grin. :D

10. ryoken

Amen....

Certainly isn't gonna hurt to cram as much air in there as possible...