Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

buffing gone wrong

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by testosterone, Aug 30, 2002.

1. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

My managers friend has a son who just opened this mobile car detail business. So he comes by work today and looks at the blazer and says that he can buff out two small scratches on the passangers door..next thing I know he is saying 'ohh oh we have a problem'. He burnt throught he damn paint. I was so angry I had to turn around and walk back into the building to keep from doing anything stupid. He is supposed to show tommorow with some paint guy. they are gonna try to match the paint and blend everything in. Luckily its 1yr old paint and a simple Ford silver color.
    Can my luck get any worse?

2. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

The bad news is:

U are going to have a mismatch in color !!!
    silver metalic are the worst to match up
    Pretty sure he is going to "blend" the hole door .
    just make sure the guy know what he is doing before u give him green light to do it!
    /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

If those scratches weren't on an edge, it takes some work to burn it. On an edge, just inexperience or inattention.

Bummer. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Rotary buffer = BAD (in the hands of the inexperienced...burns and swirls)

Orbital buffer = GOOD (vitually impossible to screw up)

Hope it all works out...

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Ummm..can we say dumbass? Just to warn you,you might have to paint the whole door all over agian (Unless it's two tone). Touching up is one of the hardest things to do. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Luckily its 1yr old paint

[/ QUOTE ]

Clear coat is too thin.

It's not easy to burn through a factory clear-coat, you can sand 'em down and buff out some pretty nasty scratches. But allot of "new-paint jobs" are applied too thin, and are easily cut down to the base-coat, leaveing a dull spot with featherd edges (don't ask how I knowe this /forums/images/icons/wink.gif .

Silver is a forgiveing color. But metalics are a b!tch.
    Fine metalics will have a better chance of matching the exsisting paint. Do not blend to the end of the body panel, it will leave an aburburpt end and if the paint does not match perfectly it will stand out. They should "blend" the panel 2-3 inches into the next panel or stop short.