Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buggy and trugys come clean

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramjet gmc, Oct 21, 2004.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Buggy and trugys come clean

I am getting my sawzal all ready to go BUT

Is there any thing you wish you did different?
    do you miss the roof ?
    still wish you had doors?
    Lunch slid out the back missing tailgate??

So any pitfalls ??

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

so far none. but i've only had my rig out once.

not sure if that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

i have to say that the open top wheeling was awesome though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Build in lots of storage and something to hold your cooler in place. Ratchet straps usually work for me, but it doesn't always get tied down right and we dumped the whole cooler in Las Cruces several months back.

I've got issues with going forward to where I want it to be now, but that's just general evolution/truggy issues. Other than the general truggy/evolution problems, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, especially for my very first attempt at anything like that.

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

storage is a must, I also like lockable storage. I am a huge fan of, at least, aluminum body panels. I love it but I also live in arizona, its only cold for a little while /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop it up, you can always add more stuff later ... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

You might want to contact Yunit. From the looks of his post in the Wanted section he is scrapping his project, wonder why? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Storage is a biggie. Ive got a bikini top and back window that works really well. We wheeled a couple weeks ago in the pouring rain all day and I was warm and dry all day. Of course that was with the tranny hump removed for heat /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I have absolutely no storage space in mine. I couldnt even carry one zip tie or a beer. Considering my rig only weighs 3k lbs. and I have a D60/14 bolt I dont have breakge issues, but at least being able to carry a cooler would be nice. I have a very small amount of storage space on the back of my buggy where I might be able to build a small cooler rack for a six pack cooler. At least enough to put a sandwich and a couple of cokes in. Unlike most, I totally dig the single seater; that aspect doesn't really bother me. Having only one seat allowed me to put thing where I wanted it and out of the way. It also cleared the way for a blingin a$$ 3.5" exhaust. Another thing I would do over again is give myself more leg room. Being 6'3" kinda makes it cramped. I dont have any other issues yet.

Edit:
    I have full skins on mine so not much mud or anything hits me. I also have a roof skin too. My windshield is a pair of motocross goggles.

8. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

The biggest problem for us Pat is the weather. It rained a lot this past summer and then we have to deal with the winter. I plan to take a step back, build a more then capable trail rig with all of my parts; that I can drive on the street and then use the extra axles, cases, and parts to build a tube rig that I beat the piss out of.

Also, the K5 frame is such a pain in the ass to truggy out, too many bends and twists. My frame was also tweaked and pushed back 1" on the driver side from an accident.

If I could go back 5 months, I would have never cut up the Jimmy, it was a big mistake, especially with my tow rig issues now.

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

And that body is so clean! Your gonna cut it up??

Hey, if your ditching the bumpers/sliders/other stuff that only fits stock trucks, let me know.. lol.

Maybe you should just trade/sell trucks with yunit? that way you wouldnt have to cut your body up, and yunit would have a already cut body to play with?

Hey Pat, didnt you tie the knot already? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the knot YEP look in my webshots of pics

the body is wiped out on 1 side but ok i will not go to the work to fix it so i can bash more rocks
    but i want to get back to what i had with my jeep with elbo room so open doors top gone ( may keep the cab top) I feel like i am driving a school bus or to dissconeted from the outside to have fun.

i may pull the tail tighter but not the front too much work

but i do not want the full buggy thing just open and easy to close up for rain & snow

the more i think abought it i might go like this with the famly cage
    [​IMG]
    and get the door pin mod and have a top made
    [​IMG]

i do not think i am ready for the truggy yet /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif but i will think abought it

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I didnt take the Truggy leap yet however I did delete the doors (top already full convert) and really the only issues are water intrusion (when not expected) and climate. The ladder of which I think a flex a lite heater will help with. Like I said Not full truggy yet, but it sure is feeling more solid than it ever has, even with out the doors... I'm learning that layers of clothes are your friend.

12. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Flex a lite heater??? Could you elaborate a little bit more? I recently took out every part of the heating system on my K5 and plan on ditching the doors and keepin them off, even in the winter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Yep, layered clothes are a must, except if you live in AZ. Lucky bastards.

To add to my earlier post, even though I might get wet every now and then, I sometimes get a little chilled, I have to beg for people to carry my beer and my lunch, and I cant carry a passenger, I would not trade any of it for a rig with a body, top, or other wise. Having a light rig that breaks 10% of the time my toher one did and being able to see every angle of the rig and tires while driving is awesome. Very much worth it, IMHO.

14. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Hmmm, I drove mine in the winter months, with no heater, doors ect, I only got caught in the rain 4 or 5 times. I had no problem with it and when it rained I wouldn't drive it or just limp home if I had to "with tsl's and a locker I tried not to drive in the rain.."

I would say storage, tool and tire mounting are the most important and the biggest concerns. I like to carry my tools all the time everyday, but most people dont drive a truggy or buggy everyday.

Now I look back I should have just left the blazer alone and built a buggy from the start, but I only had room for 1 truck and it had to do both duties. I ended up parting out the 75, and now when I do build a buggy I will have to start from scratch /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Live and learn, but it seems russ is also having the truggy eveolution blues....it seems you can only go so far in a build up before you want the next step. The 75 was finished in september last year, not even a month later I was boat siding it. When I made it a truggy, fuel cell, narrwed and 1 ton..that lasted just a couple months before I took it apart with hopes to build a buggy /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Just decide before you start, and build it once and just enjoy it for what it is, your family and friends will love you for it /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

for now I can be satified with my pimpimg my full bodied 86

good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the more i think abought it i might go like this with the famly cage
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    ...... theres no family cage in that pic /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Flex a lite heater??? Could you elaborate a little bit more? I recently took out every part of the heating system on my K5 and plan on ditching the doors and keepin them off, even in the winter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

flex-alite Mojave meater

17. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

flex-alite Mojave meater

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the one, put one in my friends jeep and it is awesome!!

As far as winter months, Arizona and doorless top less K5s, C'mon up here monkey. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

18. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

flex-alite Mojave meater

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the one, put one in my friends jeep and it is awesome!!

As far as winter months, Arizona and doorless top less K5s, C'mon up here monkey. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

COOL!!! I wonder how much it is... time to start searching for the best price. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I'm still holding onto the tailgate. I hate to loose it, the problem is if you keep it, it just takes a beating. I'm still going to keep the tailgate even after I remove the rear body panels.

Rob

20. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I have a flexalite it was around 150. Summit is making a steel heater that is supposedly better than the flexalite. I want it.