Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

buggy axles? which way to go

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Feb 16, 2007.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Just sold my Cherokee so I wanna build an off road only rig. Something i can cruise the trails in and maybe throw some paddles on it for the sand.

2 seater bugger running a v-8 nothing bigger then a 37". gonna be all tube.

should i go yoda axles?
    1/2 tons (access to 2 free sets)
    3/4 tons?
    1 tons?
    mogs?
    where to go?

gonna plan for 3 link front and 4 link rear.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

1/2 tons with chromoly shafts/joints. Buggy weight is VERY important. Keep everything light, maybe even look into an LS1/2 if you want to stick with a V8.

*EDIT* Toyota axles are very stout if you run aftermarket birfield joints. That is probably a better option than 1/2 tons

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i say v8 as i already have one sitting on a stand.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yota axles would be a good option. With Longs newest birfs installed there are guys running 40s on yotas that still have some body left, let alone tube rigs. Toy rear axles might be the best semi-floating rear axle ever on a 1/2 ton (or lighter!) truck... they can handle some big meats and a lot of abuse. Whatsmore, if you do want to beat on them more, bling alloy upgrades aren't that expensive. :)

I'm going to run yota axles (and drivetrain) on my single seat buggy. The parts are light and, for their size, very strong. Best part is that the toy aftermarket is huge and very competitive... so there are not only lots of good parts, but they tend to be cheap.

j