Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buggy..keeping it street legal discussion, and how to do it.

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by supersize75k5, Jun 27, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Well I am at a hold up..

One demand I have is that this buggy be street legal.. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Well I am looking for ideas pointers ect..

Options and problems...

1 use all new chassis, have registered as a rail..

Cons.. rail is now a 2004, also get appraised by the state and a tax is set at 15 percent of that value, so if they say it is worth 20 grand. There goes three more grand to get a vin /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Option 2..

Get a 64 or older title, allows you to register the vin "if it is a in state vin" with out taking the car down there, also no emissions: peace:

Option 3..

Take a few feet of a legal vined truck, have it taken down to dmv, the declare it salvaged, get rid of the body and body vin, then is would be a reconstructed rail. Ect..

I like the idea of buying a 78 2wd of a friend, get the thing al legal, then also having a boxed frame as well as saving a lot of fab time /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Thoughts, ideas, ect..

I hope this fits in this category as if has to do with what style chassis I can build and how crazy I can get with this while being street legal: thumb:

also I will post results of my findings as well as how it all works out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif On anther note... a lot of events require tags and a plate, not to mention some ask for insurance proof, so you cant have just a trailer queen /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I found out progressive will insure sand rails; also they count any mechanical tickets against your policy. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The perimeters are to have a street legal buggy in every form, and have insurance to protect it as well.

Edited for reading pleasure!

2. supersize75k5

Re: Buggy..keeping it street legal discussion !and chassis to do it with

just realised I am alspep on the computer agin, spellingand my eyes are done for, hands are nubm, goodnight

-shawn /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I would say you need to stay away from anything called new at all costs, you could have to deal with 2004 emissions also! very bad.

Don't use all of a frame, just use what you need or what will fit your plans, don't plan around it. You can build the buggy and fasten a couple feet of frame rail to it if you have to. I don't know how much frame they will want to see to make this option work. Boxing the frame is a LOT of work, don't underestimate the time involved with that operation.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I checked into this for my truggy a while back. In AZ they have what they call a "reconstruct" title (IIRC). It's the same thing that is used for the kit cars and other home builts (as in "reconstruct of a Shelby Cobra"). They have separate guidelines and only pass a sniffer. It's not as strict as OEM 2004 guidelines, and I was told my TBI 350 with no cats or anything else should easily pass it unless it's falling on it's face. Only deal is a "level 3" inspection for the reconstruct title. You can pick up a check sheet at the DMV.

Only thing I noticed that was "out of line" IMO was "windshield wipers" and "turn signals". With some "classics" having no serviceable windshield and still being "street legal", how can they justify this? And I thought "hand signals" were still usable? Still, not terribly onerous, and at least it's not Kali...

5. Stephen

It could be a LOT worse. I think it's great that you guys have a way to build a vehicle that's what we want and be totally street legal with it, so you don't have to worry about getting busted every time you take it on the pavement.

6. supersize75k5

alright lets keep this ball rolling!

as for the windshield wipers.. They can be manual! Just make a simple lever with a handle for the drivers side, I plan to have a flat jeep style windshield anyways that is removable. I am planning to use my nice harness for the turn signal crap and will later change it to a manual switch when I get it through inspection and then change out the column as well. I want to keep it in there during the build stage though to help my time dead line and inspections

I need to go get more info on the frame thing..

AS for the boxing.. That is a lot of work but I have a solid month to do it before the fab work for the chassis starts. I also only plan on using 3-5 feet of frame so I hope that helps just enough for the drive train

I will go talk with the inspector at the dmv tomorrow and get the paper on requirement and report back with my findings, I will try to scan it for all to see.

edited for spelling.

7. supersize75k5

Great news!

Just got back from talking with the inspector at the dmv,

Here is the route he recommended,

simply build the buggy based off the frame, then bring it in to be inspected along with title and document of ownership.

Pay a 25.00 fee for a level two inspection and get a serial number "vin"

For it to pass it must..

mud flaps or splash guards, head lights, tail lights, stop/turn/break. Windshiled and wiper, licence plate light, rear view mirror, muffler, fuel tank cap, hand or foot brakes and a horn.

cool, looks like the buggy is a go, cant weight to finish it and drive it down the road... hello coppers /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

this route is the best for me as I dont want to have to build a buggy and have a 04, that would require alot of headache as the appraise it and rape ya afterwards.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thats great that you can make a street legal buggy that easy. Just watch driving it around, you will still get stopped and the cops can make your life real hard if they want to. Now granted they have no leg to stand on but you have to stand up to them and that could get real old after a while.
    We know of a guy that has been stopped several times in his buggy for various reasons. Once in Utah during EJS and he got a ticket for basically violating Utah law. He treid to fight it but it would cost to much money in driving and attornys. Once agian he got stopped for driving it down the side of the road from where he parked his truck to the trail head 1/4 mile away. Didn't get a ticket for this one but got the get that thing off my road and don't ever bring it back agian.
    Just be careful how far you push driving it on the highway. I know it will be inspected and all legal like but one cop trying to look good on paper can cause enough headaches to make trailers look real nice.

9. supersize75k5

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats great that you can make a street legal buggy that easy. Just watch driving it around, you will still get stopped and the cops can make your life real hard if they want to. Now granted they have no leg to stand on but you have to stand up to them and that could get real old after a while.
    We know of a guy that has been stopped several times in his buggy for various reasons. Once in Utah during EJS and he got a ticket for basically violating Utah law. He treid to fight it but it would cost to much money in driving and attornys. Once agian he got stopped for driving it down the side of the road from where he parked his truck to the trail head 1/4 mile away. Didn't get a ticket for this one but got the get that thing off my road and don't ever bring it back agian.
    Just be careful how far you push driving it on the highway. I know it will be inspected and all legal like but one cop trying to look good on paper can cause enough headaches to make trailers look real nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totaly agree with you, I drive the 75 daily and I drive alot, driving 500 miles in a week is not to unusual for me. I just enjoy it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The main problems I have had when I get pulled over are reasons that are good, "brake light, tail light, head light adj. ect, busted wind shild, no flaps"

Local police are very nice to me, it is Highway patrol that kills me, thay bust out the measuring tape, check noise levels, chack the hight of head lights, fender laws, mud flaps, bla bla bla, I am used to it, for anything over 45 minutes I will use the trialer, other wise I paln to drive /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

wish me luck, I want to do something every time Ia get pulled over..maby write the offence and date on the side with an ink pen /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Stephen

The mudflap thing sucks, is it because you're starting with a truck frame instead of a K5 frame? I thought SUVs didn't have to have flaps in AZ so maybe that's it? Nothin like taking a cool buggy and adding mudflaps to make a guy happy /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    The rest is all very reasonable

Give me a call about some of the suspension stuff, I have a couple ideas for you to consider.

11. supersize75k5

I will try to call ya today /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I had a vehicle with an REC title. It has its benefits and downfalls as well. This was in 96. The truck wasn't even all put together yet but the inspector actually came to the house did some looking at it, crawled under to get the vin off the frame and then wrote down the one on the cab and checked to make sure they weren't stolen. Then he made me out a new vin.

Funny part is later I needed a loan and had this clear 96 title in 96. Banker didn't read very closely so he loaned me a bunch of money thinking I had a new chevy truck. All things being equal it was more a 76 than a 96.

The insurance guy tried to screw me though. He wanted to charge me for a 96 so I made them come estimate the value.

13. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Unless things have changed in the past year or so Suv's in Az don't need mudflaps. Pickups do, but Blazers and the like do not. Neat loophole if it still exists. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. Stephen

Sounds like an old K5 or 'burb is the good place to start with this process then. Do they have any rules about how much frame rail to keep?

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

A late K5 or burb would be the best from a frame standpoint since they have nice straight rails from the firewall back. Easy to keep the stock frame all the way to the back of the transfer case that way and still have easy fab for the cage, floor, etc. Earlier K5s would work too, but you would have a little less straight span. I would avoid using a truck frame unless you plan to cut it right at the back of the stock cross member because it angles up just after that.

Once you have that section, if you intend to keep the front leafs, just make sure you mount the front cage points right at the ends of the spring and you will have no issues with frame flex. Hydro (or assist) steering would also eliminate problems with the steering box breaking the frame and it should hold up nicely...

16. supersize75k5

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like an old K5 or 'burb is the good place to start with this process then. Do they have any rules about how much frame rail to keep?

[/ QUOTE ]

no specific amount is stated, plus the inspector has put three of my trucks though, he is a pretty cool guy..

seems every couple of months he see's me and says.."didn't you just bring one of these though here? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif"

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

thanks for the frame info as well, strait frame for a strait guy..win-win /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. supersize75k5

Well sorry to dissapoint, but the chevy frame idea is out, screw that hassle. I am going to just get a whole chassis and get it the way I want, when it is done I will either get a pre 64 vin like Camble and other fabs sho do, or go the hard way to make it a 04 sand rail if I have to/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I also started looking at trailers, I could just sell the 86 and buy a crew cab a friend has /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Edited for spelling.

18. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

What are the issues of flat towing a buggy type unit behind a truck? Are the highway reqs the same as a driveable vehicle? Not counting brakes or lights... those are obvious.

Mike

19. supersize75k5

when you refer to flat towing are you talking about a tow dolly?

If so I have thought about that aption alot, I would just have a custome one made or make one, it would also keep the trailering weight down /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

flat towing is the use of a tow bar, tow dolley is where you place 2 wheel on the little kart (lackof better term,LOL)
    I think flat towing is nice unless you break stuff alot then it becomes a pain,LOL