Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buggy Spring?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Corey 78K5, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Im doing a Buggy spring on the front of my 78and I need to know if anyone else has done this. Im using the rear half of the main leaf from the stock springs and need to know what degree I should shim the axel. I removed the sway bar long ago but I fiured I should fab up a Trac-bar to keep everything from swaying from side to side. Oh by the way I already have 4" TC front springs and Plan on going to 38's in the near future so I figure It should give me enough clearence for 38's, plus I broke out the sawsall on the finders againe so I know I will clear.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You might want to talk to Marv Springer about this. He can tell you all the pros and cons for the buggy springs. He has already talked one person that I know of out of the buggy springs setup.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Im still waiting for a responce from Marv I pm him Saturday and haven't heard back from him. Why would this be a bad Ideal? I know it's not ideal for the street but I dont really drive on the street. I know I will need a long travel front drive shaft to compensate for the extra drop. If all else fails it can always be taken off but I'm gonna try it anyways and test it out.

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Corey,

As was mentioned, I usually try to talk people out of the "Buggy Spring" mod. This is why:

1) Believe it or not, you CAN get too much travel in the front end. It's great to have 2+ feet of travel when rolling across a fairly level boulder field, but when you start to climb waterfalls and really steep obstacles - you'll hate it. The truck will try to "wheelie" over on it's tailgate as the front suspension unloads. I always say that the place to go for sick travel is in the rear.

2) Track bar thing gets complex. I've experimented with at least three different mounting locations for my front track bar - and I've settled on an arrangement that works - but limits travel to about 23 or 24" of travel. Over the years, I've probably broken the track bar on the front 5 or so times, and driven it home with out one - which was scary!... For the "frame mount" end of the track bar, I finally found that a .5" thick reinforced bracket welded to the frame would hold up.

3) If one or both of the front tires extends full and is getting good traction, the front axle can try to "walk out" from under the truck. An extended spline driveshaft is a necessity!... Also, I've kinked 2 sets of springs in this way. So, you wind up limiting the amount of droop of the buggy spring in order to keep things in check. But this is "opposite" to what your trying to do, so the whole design kinda starts working against itself.

I did the buggy's on my truck sometime in 1997. I drive ~15k mi/yr, so I think that I may have 60k miles of driving time on the front end. The drawbacks are not enough for me to remove the buggy's from the truck - but I must admit that I've thought about it a couple of times...

If you really need 2+ feet of travel for the front, I'd suggest doing a coil over setup like Watsons, or copying the front James Duff "long arm" travel for Broncos...

If you still wanna do it, I'll provide any info I can.

Marv

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Marv,
    It's more of an experimentation than anything right now. I would plan on useing limiting straps and such to keep the amount of drop in place. I have thought about a coil/radius arm set up as well and I know of a 78 Bronco that was wrecked in the rear end that I could probably get for cheap. I figured I could steal the coil towers and cut off all the mounting points for the axel and transfer them to the GM axel. The 4 linc coil over would probably be the best way to go but the cost involed is pretty high and I'm not sure I want to try that method just yet.