Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

buggy springs

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by balls of fire, Jan 11, 2003.

1. balls of fire

balls of fire Registered Member

Stephen, Have you ever seen buggy spring set up on the front of a K5? What is your thoughts on this type of set up? How would it handle on the street? And would you gain all that much flex? If I was to do this type of set up would I have a spring built are just cut down a old spring?

thanks, Jeremy

2. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Jeremy,

Marv Springer runs buggy spring up front on his K5, drop him a line and search the board regarding his experiences on them.

Good Luck,
    Rob

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

My general opinion of buggy spring setups is not so great. I'm not willing to give up what control the spring has over the axle to get more "flex" out of the spring. The front systems I've seen definitly added some movement to the suspension but also started picking up axlewrap which is somewhat rare in a front suspension. Same situation in the rear, we actually got axle wrap in a FJ40 with 33's, spring under and a 2F motor. So we welded some solid shackle mounts on the frame and my buddy has some nice heim jointed gold zinc plated paper weights (old drop arms)in his garage.

Link and coil suspensions fight some of the same problems with uncontrolled droop as the various drop arm/buggy leaf suspensions but generally have better axle control due to the links and typically have shock and spring motion throughout the full range of travel.

I prefer a good quality spring in a more conventional mounting system and good dampers with minimal angle. It's pretty conventional but gives good control and reasonable flex and ride.