Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buggy/Truggy people. What kind of heater are you using?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Post says it all. I would like to ditch the stock setup to save weight and I need the room. Is there a junkyard all in one deal that I could mount up? What have you guys done? I remember the setup that my FJ40 used to have and something like that would be perfect. Thanks.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't know of any junk yard deal, but the Mojave heater is pretty sweet. I'm thinking I may get one this winter. Juan runs one of these and likes it alot.

3. Sandman

How much are they? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, Im prolly gonna run one of these at some point, thanks for posting the info! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

6. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

look for a old heater from a land cruser it is a stand alone unit and fan built in

7. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Just an idea but a rear heater from a van is pretty small and self contained.

8. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I run a Mojave Heater by Flexalite. IT puts out something like 12000 BTUs. Definitely makes a difference but don't expect it to keep you warm at 70+ on the highway without a top, windows, doors, tailgate, bedsides or a brain...
    wait I meant rain.
    super easy install...I wouln't buy the optional plenum box again. I didn't even use it.
    juan

9. Sandman

I plan on keeping the doors and some kind of top. I was just looking for an all in one type of solution. This Mojave might be the deal.

10. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

once again we are thinking of the same mods, great post /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Water cooled Vanagons also had a stand alone rear heater with a fan. I used a gas heater from an air-cooled bug. Just run a line from the tank and put it wherever you want. Nice to because you can turn em on without the engine running or even warm yet.

12. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Do y'all actually need a heater in Arizona? Sounds like an Oxymoron to me... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

13. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well up here in my neck of the woods it snowed today so yeah a heater is kind of nice in parts of Arizona. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Allan

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I run a Mojave Heater by Flexalite. IT puts out something like 12000 BTUs. Definitely makes a difference but don't expect it to keep you warm at 70+ on the highway without a top, windows, doors, tailgate, bedsides or a brain...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! what will?! With my top off, my factory heater can sorta keep me warm on the freeway because the negative pressure behind the cab sorta keeps some of the warm air inside... but with doors off forget about it... not even sure if I'd notice the heater was on.

[ QUOTE ]
    super easy install...I wouln't buy the optional plenum box again. I didn't even use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

isnt the box so you can defrost? we get lots of frosty windshields during the winter here... you just scrape ur windows or...?

j

15. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

was using factory- but the no doors thing really didn't let the heater actually warm me up so i am running nothing. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But if the weather was actually kind of cold here i would second the Mojave.

16. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just an idea but a rear heater from a van is pretty small and self contained.

[/ QUOTE ]

my buddies has coolant hoses all the way back to it. no any that dont require the coolant to heat?

17. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I put in the smaller heater box from a non AC truck and it worked pretty well. I used the fan from the AC setup since it kicks butt compared to the others (it had to be modified a little somehow but it did work). I don't think you're going to get a lot lighter than this, a heater core is a heater core, the sheet metal box is pretty light the duct work isn't too heavy either. It put the defroster ducting into a location I could use my stock "y-pipe" to keep the defrost function, which I imagine you're going to want. This is the approach I would take with the amount of body you're going to have left.

I'll probably look at using a mojave now, or I have a friend that got a self contained unit from some little toyota car. I also have a rear heater from a sub or K5 that would work pretty good I think. I can't run the factory setup since that part of the firewall isn't really there anymore. And I like looking out the hole to see the front tire.

18. Sandman

Thats what it looks like I will be doing. It seems to be the cheapest and the easiest. I have already removed it all and I do have the non AC box ready to go. I might have to build some kind of water shield for the blower motor as I have removed all of the metal on the outside so that the fenders would taper in OK.

This taper job is generating an impressive pile of scrap metal.

19. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

actually, a defroster doesn't really work in my application. My rear tires actually will roost water and dirt and the like all over the inside of the windshield. For driving when it's raining I regularly coat my windshield with RAIN-X. It really works well. I have also installed a rear inner fender setup out of mudflap material. That limits the "fling" effect.
    juan

20. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Matt
    Why would you need the blower motor or non AC box if your going to use the mojave? Unless I am missing something just cover up the hole with some plate etc. and bolt in the mojave under the dash with 2 hoses coming through said plate.
    I might go this route as well, my factory heater doesn't even work. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif