Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bugs in my room!! hmmm

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 16, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yesterday I noticed little black bugs crawling on the floor. Worried they were coming from the new hedgehog I gave him a bath(he also had a dose of an anti-mite medication a week ago). Then I cleaned the room up, vaccumed all the carpet, and washed my bedding. Today I am noticing small flies(fruitflies I guess) flying around my monitor. Killing them as I note them, but this is annoying. I'm a big time, NOT fan of bugs. So any thoughts? I put out little ant traps and am confining the hedgehog to his cage until this is worked out.

I had a spary out at school because we had a bug problem in our bathroom. Sprayed it in all of the corners, and then spray bomb the room (spray the whole room near the ceiling). Leave the area for a few minutes and you will find a bunch of dead bugs on the floor. But I'm hesitant to use that with the hedgie in the room(obviouslly I'd take him out while doing it). Hedgehogs love to lick anything funky smelling, so that wouldn't be good.

2. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

what do you feed a hedgehog? look in his food

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

cat food from the grocery store, kept in a plastic bag in the kitchen. Mom spotted some of these bugs in his cage one day, I cleaned the cage and bathed him immediately. Apparently they either spread or didn't originate from there. I feed him a limited amount of food. Don't want him getting fat, so there usually isn't much if any food in his bowl until its feeding time.

4. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

hmm, theres gotta be something in your room where they are coming from...:confused:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

we live a bit in the woods, you constantly see random creepy crawlers around. just these little black guys like my room for some reason. I often leave food around for a day or so. But haven't been lately, trying to break myself of that nasty habit.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Ive been noticing little moth like tiny bugs. Come out at night when i only have the monitor on. Ill kill them as i go. Slowly but surely no more have aroused. lol. It really sucks living in a home that is pilled full of stuff. Cant track down where they are coming from.

7. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks for a new sig quote.

Here's an idea; don't own creatures that lick things that smell funny. There's a reason we're not supposed to own stuff like that, e.g. bug attraction. ;)

-Avery

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

they are little black ants, a ton of them. I've been killing them at the rate of I'd say 10 minutes.

Anyone have a trick for little black ants? they seem to have moved to my desk as their base of operations so I keep seeing htem now. I tried vacuuming, removing all food, come home from work a few days later and here they are. I left a half gallon of Raspberry iced tea open on the desk(empty). They are all over the bottom of it, most of them dead.

9. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

spray the outside of your window sill, spray the outside of your door.

10. Avery4jc

setup a bowl of sugar water so that they can get in but not out. Ants can smell it for miles so put a pie dish full of water w/ a bowl turned over in the center. Put some sugar on the center. They will smell the sugar and go for it (they can smell it yards away) and when they do, da da daaaaa! They will drown in the water. I do it with my dog's food bowl outside. When they go for the food they fall in the dish of water and drown keeping his food safe.

-Avery

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

20 Mule Team..

Go get some "20 Mule Team" powdered Borax--its in the laundry detergent aisle at the market...sprinkle it where the ants are,and suspected areas of entry..ants HATE Borax,it dries them out,and they dehydrate!--it also repels them,and it clogs up their lungs....

I'm not sure,but I think its not toxic to humans or pets(check the box ,I could be wrong)..all I know is it cured my ant infestation in my room a few years ago,and they haven't invaded since,though other parts of the house have had a few ants spotted in it...
    ...if any cops ever look in my room,they will probably think I spilled coke or meth all over the place--but its BORAX!!:haha:

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

been doing something like that with a gallon container of iced tea on my desk. its been there for days now, they go in but do't come back out. need to fill the bottom with water and sugar to get them coming to it.

You'd think having an insectivore for a pet would take care of these problems.

13. Avery4jc

Then let that little bugger roam free in your room. Just close the door and let him have at it!

-Avery