Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

buick 3800 gs ??

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by shane74, May 21, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

My wife drives a '91 buick regal gs w/ the L code 3800 V6. I put the engine in about 30,000 ago and it has developed a problem. Under load (foot in it going up hill) the car stalls and hesitiates, on the freeway, no problems. Also, the other day when I was under the hood, I noticed a strong burnt oil smell. I couldn't find where it was coming from until I took the air induction tube off up at the throttle body. Thick oil smoke was churning around in the intake. This was right after I pulled the long hill to my house coming home from work. Also, I have a "mass airflow" fault. I replaced the MAS and the problem is still there. I heard that a bad CAT can cause problems like this. Since the engine is fairly new and the car is in excellent shape, I'd really like to figure this out. Anybody got any ideas??

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my 3.4L Monte Carlo. All it was was the PCV valve messing up. Try replacing that and see if it helps.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll give it a shot!

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

BTW...what exactly does the pcv valve do??

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

It allows your crankcase to get cool air from the intake. Sometimes it can clog and mess up allowing oil to get into the intake rather than air getting into the crankcase.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I replaced the pcv valve last night. It still has the problem. It is somewhat reduced, but the hesitation and hiccuping is still there under load. Also, when I crawled under the car last night. I noticed that the engine and the exhaust from the cat back were cool to the touch, but the cat was very warm (about 1/2 hour after she shut if off). I knw that the cat superheats the gases to burn them, but is that normal to be that hot after sitting for awhile. The other reason I suspect the cat is because when we were driving it with 4 adults in it, we all smelled a burning metal smell, almost like brakes, but they were not hot nor burning. The only other thing i can think of is the cat....

7. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

when cats start to burn you get a rotten egg smell 99 percent of the time... since it is just doing it under load i would suggest checking into your plugs and wires... Also after driving the car at night look up under the car and see if the cats are glowing red hot.. this is a sign of a clogged cat... also you can go to the back and check the pressure coming out... just put your hand down there and have someone rev the engine... you will know if the cats are clogged or not... Also you didnt mention how old the fuel filter is... when putting a load on the engine or putting the pedal to the floor takes alot more gas then just normal driving or idleing does... if you filter is not allowing the proper amout of fuel to pass threw it then your car will jerk/hesitate or maybe even stall out... this is also very hard on the fuel pump since it is trying to create more presure to pass threw the clogged fuel filter.. in the long wrong this is end up burning up the fuel pump and costing you alot more money...

hope some of this helps out... if not let me know and i will be happy to help you trouble shoot the problems you are having..

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I took the car to an exhaust shop yesterday. The cat is definitely bad. Also, I replaced the fuel filter and the pcv valve. My wife drove it and said it is much better. Also, a friend of mine brought home his scanner from work. We read the codes. Almost all of them I knew about and fixed, but the codes were still in the computer. The only one I didn't recognize was code 39 TCC or TTC, something like that. We cleared the codes, took it for a drive, checked them again, and the scanner said everything was a-ok. I am confuddeld....Anyway, I don't have the $350 for a new exhaust system (it all needs replaced, I knew that before I took it to the exhaust shop) so I am going to cut out the cat and weld in a piece of straight pipe for a week or so until I have the $$ it fix it right.

Thanks for the offer of help! I'll probably need it!

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Just found out, code 39 TCC is a torque converter clutch fault. I know the tranny needs rebuilt, just waiting till it dies.

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

If that code doesn't come back uo, I wouldn't worry about it. It might just be that the computer was confused with the car running bad and gave some false codes. It happens sometimes. As long as the car is running good now!